New stereo system with back up camera needed

matt86m

Reaction score
I have a 37'' tire in my way! I can't see sh!t backing up in my 2012 Jeep JKU. I'm looking for a plug and play head unit, new speakers and a hard wired back up camera.

Any suggestions?

I'd like to be able to do it for $1000 or less - I don't want cheap but I'm also not looking to win any contests 

I have a friend that does that type of work out of his garage in La Costa. I can give you his contact if your willing to drive down here

I installed a 7" DVD player with USB input, Micro SD card, rear view camera video input, nice equalizer control, 4 ch plus sub RCA output, BT phone connection that pauses all video/audio during a call and the screen tilts to eliminate glare.

It's made by Pyle and it was only $89 on Amazon. Surprisingly good sound and features for such a low price.

I had a JVC head unit put in my son’s Rubicon for the same reason. I really wanted him to have a back up camera and Car Play. Had it installed at a local shop. They mounted the camera right on the spare tire so visibility is great. The head unit works well with the OEM Alpine speaker system. I think I paid about $1200 total. 

I own a shop in corona. Fell free to call me or text me for pricing or any questions you might have 

714-936-9418
Johnnie, good 'talking' to you. Thanks for posting, just what I am looking for and always nice to put a few $ into a fellow duners pocket.

When I am able, Ill get out your way when we can schedule something.

Thank you

You ever get anything?  I'm about to do the stereo in the WJ...

-TJ

Not yet but I'll be going to see Johnnie ( @Intro2Rhino ) when I do.
Nice.  I'm doing my WJ and going with a somewhat unconventional approach, but one that worked good in some of my prior vehicles, only doing front speakers.  I may or may not add a sub later but I don't want to give up the space for camping gear or even sleeping in it at this point.  My WJ had the Infinity Gold system, so it had a factory amp under the back passenger seat, and like a lot of factory amp'ed setups has some odd configurations.  Stock, the front doors had 6x9"s that only got mid-bass, then there were little paper dash speakers (bigger than tweeters, but not by much) that were responsible for all the front upper-mid through high range (which really set the whole sound stage).  Despite being goofy, it actually kinda sounds okay-ish at lower volumes.  Put 35"s on it with a short, turn-down exhaust and all solid suspension joints and generally drive it windows-down and then you'll really find it lacking.  

So my plan is a 6x9" component system up front, with the mid-bass 6x9"s in the doors and the tweaters in the stock dash location... and that's it.  I know these days most people go with speaker-count as an analog for sound quality, but I'm going the other way.  I figured putting speakers in the back doors was pointless, because I'll never have back passengers and most of the time the seats will be folded and I'll have lots of gear back there that would only muffle any speakers in the door (the stock rear door location is very low). 

I'm doing an amp in the stock location, and re-using a lot of the wiring that's already there.  It's a small, digital amp but should consume less power than the original amp (which was actually pretty big/powerful but is old-tech) so I'm re-using the factory amp power run.  I'll mount the cross-over back by the amp as well on a board that will occupy the space the stock amp was in.  This way I can reuse the factory speaker wires going to the doors and dash from the stock amp location.  

I'll let you know how it turns out...

-TJ

Find a stock takeout system from a JK with the Nav/stereo unit. They have a rear camera input for your cheap backup camera from Amazon. My 2015 has the premium Alpine speaker system with the Uconnect infotainment system. Using the JScan app, I was able to turn on the camera input setting on the head unit and the camera/screen will activate with the reverse lights.

The premium sound system (with factory sub in the cargo area) is more than adequate for me. It should not be incredibly expensive and it will look factory…because it is!

I have the factory sub in the back (by the tailgate) Not sure ill be replacing it, we'll see. @tjZ06 I'm not one of the more speakers the better either and though I probably won't be loaded down like you I have a dog hammock in the back and won't have too many people there either.

@Adam G I thought about that and have looked here and there but haven't found anything. Mine, being a 2012 I'm not exactly sure what will plug and play which is why Ill let Johnnie do what he does. Ill probably have him do my motorhome as well! My 21 year old black and white back up camera is terrible at best!

I have the factory sub in the back (by the tailgate) Not sure ill be replacing it, we'll see. @tjZ06 I'm not one of the more speakers the better either and though I probably won't be loaded down like you I have a dog hammock in the back and won't have too many people there either.

@Adam G I thought about that and have looked here and there but haven't found anything. Mine, being a 2012 I'm not exactly sure what will plug and play which is why Ill let Johnnie do what he does. Ill probably have him do my motorhome as well! My 21 year old black and white back up camera is terrible at best!
Yeah, you have a lot better options, including better subs that'll go in the stock location.  Like all things, Wranglers are much better supported than WJs.

-TJ

Have you seen the vehicle specific Android head units? I put one of my work truck and it works fine it's not something I would use for a killer audio system though. Easy install.

Here's an example I don't know what Jeep you have.

IYING 10.1 Inch Car Stereo Radio Wireless CarPlay Android Auto 1280x720 IPS Screen 4GB+64GB Android 10.0 for Jeep Wrangler 2011-2014 AM/FM Radio WiFi Bluetooth GPS Navigation in-Dash Car Multimedia https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08BFN6K7S/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_8AX16FF2MB4K7EVD93MG

Have you seen the vehicle specific Android head units? I put one of my work truck and it works fine it's not something I would use for a killer audio system though. Easy install.

IYING 10.1 Inch Car Stereo Radio Wireless CarPlay Android Auto 1280x720 IPS Screen 4GB+64GB Android 10.0 for Jeep Wrangler 2011-2014 AM/FM Radio WiFi Bluetooth GPS Navigation in-Dash Car Multimedia https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08BFN6K7S/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_8AX16FF2MB4K7EVD93MG
If I had a Wrangler that's what I'd be doing.  Nobody makes stuff like that for WJs.

-TJ

I have a 2012. Saw 'Android' so at first I didn't think it would work with my iPhone but in the description it looks like it will.

Thanks!

@Intro2Rhino What do you think about this? I'd still have you do the install, speakers and BU camera too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back