New RV warranty advice

Mac

Reaction score
As expected, We bought a new motorhome.  Going through the shakedown period, I'm having a generator issue.  Onan 6000 Quiet Diesel generator, code 36 (we think it's fuel supply issue but code 36 is also a catch all).  The generator is a bit hard to start and requires a good prime, maybe 2-3 attempts when it's cold to get it started.  It will shut off sometimes when it's been running, but usually after it warms up, no issues.

I "assume" it's a fuel feed issue from the tank to the generator.  

Calling around for warrant service, I started with Onan.  I have an appointment 3 months out.  BUT...the service advisor told me, Onan might come back with..."Oh, that's a coach issue..." and the finger pointing begins.  She stated it might be wise to get an appointment to have the coach looked at for a fuel supply issue so not to cause me to wait longer for making that appointment after Onan says it's not them.  So....I call Entegra and ask how they want me to proceed.  Entegra immediately says, nope...Onan issue.  Says if I take it in for a fuel supply issue and it's a generator issue, I'll get charged for the service visit.  F*CKING BULLSH*T.

Next issue...I know everything is covered under manufacturers warranty for 2 years, but I also have the full extended warranty.  Can I use my extended warranty to try and speed things up?  Just pay the deductible?

Really looking for advice here.  Thanks.

Welcome to the world of BS finger pointing! Start with the with the coach service center, they "should" be able to find the problem.

To me sounds like a fuel pump issue or pick-up. Generator should always start right up, it primes itself.

Diesel or gas?

Oh so familiar with this scenario both with RV's and cranes. Anytime one mfg bolts something to another's the finger pointing ensues. Entegra's response is 100% BS. if its a hard start and it shuts off id check the fuel filter and connections and check valve to make sure its not sucking air or loosing prime, sounds like air in the system to me, if it was a pump or a kink in a line I don't think it would run well when warm. A decent diesel mechanic could diagnose quickly but I SERIOUSLY doubt a rv dealership employs one of those (-= I'd take it back to the dealership and talk to the service manager or GM, they need to diagnose, period. I'd put money on it being an RV issue not Onan. 

I dont know squat about how these are plumbed into the coaches (or the genny's themselves really), but it seems if you could take the fuel line off of the Genny & put it into a gallon of fuel & it starts 10 times out of 10............... its the coach. 

Bob

Im strictly against warranties, i dont believe any dealer could repair it in a timely and quality manner that i can myself.  These RV's are made cheap and quick with less skilled labor.  I can Youtube University or ask on a forum and gather enough info to fix it myself correctly.   Do you really trust a dealer to fix something that you rely on?  

Welcome to the world of BS finger pointing! Start with the with the coach service center, they "should" be able to find the problem.

To me sounds like a fuel pump issue or pick-up. Generator should always start right up, it primes itself.

Diesel or gas?
And that is what I figure it to be.   It's a Onan 6000 Quiet Diesel.

FWIW:

My brand new Attitude had a "small" issue I wasn't willing to deal with after writing a $40,000 check.

I called the Dealer that I bought it from (Norco RV) and they came and picked up my trailer (1 hour drive).

If they couldn't fix the issue, Attitude already set themselves in the next position to take a look.

All of this was scheduled and made happen through my dealer. I never left my house.

Problem was fixed that week and I got an email documenting the issue and extended lifetime warranty (for that issue only).

Just giving you an example of how things SHOULD work, from a company you vocally bash, over and over. They basically kissed my ass, properly.
My trailer was a POS.  Since my issues and now selling it, I have heard they are "trying" to rebuild customer confidence.  I hope they do and glad it worked out for you.  At the time, it took a social media tirade and a lawsuit to get mine fixed.

Appreciate the constructive comments.  The finger pointing between these companies really sucks.

A few alibis...I live in Lake Havasu, bought it in Phoenix.  Not looking forward to a 3.5 hour drive each way and let's not forget their 3 month out scheduling.  

I'll be giving it a look myself (yes, a have been an employed mechanic in my lifetime, just pissed that I bought it new, paid extra for the warranty and...I'm older and grumpier)

I do agree it's not an Onan issue, not yet anyway.  I did have to reposition the fuel pump on my last trailer from the gen set to the fuel tank.  The pressure from a "push pump" just was enough to pull the fuel that far.  One issue with my make/model of moho, the generator is tucked up in the frame and not easily accessible.  Guess I'll have to go back to my aircraft mechanic days.

Be patient, take it back to the dealer you bought it from. Nothing having to do with an RV will happen fast. My pusher was at my dealer for 9 months straight getting warranty work completed, and in the end not everything was addressed or resolved. There is no such thing as being in a hurry when it comes to anything to do with an RV, it doesn't matter how much it cost or if you just took delivery of it, or if you are jumping up and down screaming in the service drive, it will make no difference at all, the outcome will be the same.

So my suggestion is to write off the first year of your use and drop it off at the dealer and just wait it out like the rest of us had to. If you're lucky you might talk the selling dealer into cutting you a check for a few months of payments when it just sits on their lot waiting for repairs. My dealer was willing to write me a check for $5000, but only if I signed an agreement that I wouldn't get on the internet and piss and moan about the shitty service. 

If you've done your homework, this shouldn't surprise you. 

Fwiw, the diesel generator in my coach takes a long time to prime before it cranks and starts, sometimes 30 seconds if it's cold outside, that's an eternity for a task such as just starting the genny. 

Be patient, take it back to the dealer you bought it from. Nothing having to do with an RV will happen fast. My pusher was at my dealer for 9 months straight getting warranty work completed, and in the end not everything was addressed or resolved. There is no such thing as being in a hurry when it comes to anything to do with an RV, it doesn't matter how much it cost or if you just took delivery of it, or if you are jumping up and down screaming in the service drive, it will make no difference at all, the outcome will be the same.

So my suggestion is to write off the first year of your use and drop it off at the dealer and just wait it out like the rest of us had to. If you're lucky you might talk the selling dealer into cutting you a check for a few months of payments when it just sits on their lot waiting for repairs. My dealer was willing to write me a check for $5000, but only if I signed an agreement that I wouldn't get on the internet and piss and moan about the shitty service. 

Fwiw, the diesel generator in my coach takes a long time to prime before it cranks and starts, sometimes 30 seconds if it's cold outside, that's an eternity for a task such as just starting the genny. 
Your truth and honesty have no place here...

I appreciate your post and while not what I want to hear, it helps.

I am going to crawl around and see what I can find on my own.  I am thinking of selling back my warranty if this is the case and I can't really use it.

The Kubota glow plugs aren't in any particular hurry I've come to determine.

This post brought back memories of our new pusher we bought back in 2004. I'd recommend a camping trip and bring a notepad, we would go camping, make a list, drop off at dealership, pick up and repeat the only reason we stopped this process was when the warranty expired. It was a wasted year of RV ownership for sure. 

Appreciate the constructive comments.  The finger pointing between these companies really sucks.

A few alibis...I live in Lake Havasu, bought it in Phoenix.  Not looking forward to a 3.5 hour drive each way and let's not forget their 3 month out scheduling.  

I'll be giving it a look myself (yes, a have been an employed mechanic in my lifetime, just pissed that I bought it new, paid extra for the warranty and...I'm older and grumpier)

I do agree it's not an Onan issue, not yet anyway.  I did have to reposition the fuel pump on my last trailer from the gen set to the fuel tank.  The pressure from a "push pump" just was enough to pull the fuel that far.  One issue with my make/model of moho, the generator is tucked up in the frame and not easily accessible.  Guess I'll have to go back to my aircraft mechanic days.
What’s it doing

we have an Onan warranty facility in fontana, gladly help

Unless I missed it, I didn't notice your selling dealer, but have you tried NIRVC? I have not bought from them, but they seem to be a bit better run operation than typical. Folks I have talked to who did buy there seem pretty satisfied.

What’s it doing

we have an Onan warranty facility in fontana, gladly help
Chris, The generator is very difficult to start and will shut off after just running a bit.  Once it's warm, it runs fine.  I believe it's a fuel feed issue.  I'm going to see what I can do today to find a loose clamp or anything.  If the generator was more easily accessible, I'd have figured this out by now.

I'm being told if it's a feed issue, then it's a Jayco/Entegra issue and I am liable for the charges if I take it to Onan, since I didn't take it in to a Jayco repair center first.  This finger pointing BS is irritating. 

I truly appreciate the comment and the offer.  I may be in touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back