New Proposed laws for Utah

Both are good for the sport I believe.

The issue in Moab is with the huge influx of UTV's over the last few years and they are really easy to street legal here. There is really no enforcement of noise what so ever.

So you get a group of 20 UTV's, they go running through town with their 25 tower speakers blarring some Pitbull song, and billy bobs super duper power adder exhaust system that is a straight pipe stack right off the header running 5000 rpms and it becomes a problem!

If folks would just be thoughtful of others driving through their neighborhoods to get to their favorite trail it wouldnt be an issue.

But we all know how thoughtful most folks are...

Time to buy my "Don't California my Utah" sticker. I agree these particular laws may be good for certain communities like Moab or Duck Creek but it is indeed a slippery slope...

I didn't know there were weight restrictions on OHVs. Do they weigh you now? If you're over 2500lbs, then what?

I didn't know there were weight restrictions on OHVs. Do they weigh you now? If you're over 2500lbs, then what?
Haven't read it however, guessing it's like Az... if over 2500lbs, you don't get the reduced vehicle license tax ($3.00 in AZ), you pay full tilt on VLT to be street legal, just like you do on your Duramax.  

See "Street Legal Operation". option 1 in below link... 

https://azstateparks.com/ohv-registration

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are good for the sport I believe.

The issue in Moab is with the huge influx of UTV's over the last few years and they are really easy to street legal here. There is really no enforcement of noise what so ever.

So you get a group of 20 UTV's, they go running through town with their 25 tower speakers blarring some Pitbull song, and billy bobs super duper power adder exhaust system that is a straight pipe stack right off the header running 5000 rpms and it becomes a problem!

If folks would just be thoughtful of others driving through their neighborhoods to get to their favorite trail it wouldnt be an issue.

But we all know how thoughtful most folks are...
Unfortunately its the newbies who get into SxS and have no respect for other people and the descriptions you gave are the problem and it seens to be a majority of them making the few who have been off roaders for years who went to SxS look bad.

Unfortunately its the newbies who get into SxS and have no respect for other people and the descriptions you gave are the problem and it seens to be a majority of them making the few who have been off roaders for years who went to SxS look bad.
Oh I agree. I started jeeping in Moab in the 90’s. But a few hundred Jeeps rolling through town during a safari has turned into that every weekend and half of them give two shits about anyone but themselves. 

Frankly, this will just be the start of it if they don’t get a grip on it soon. 

I like House bill 180, which requires a training course before buying or renting a UTV. Too many people get behind the wheel without any understanding of what they are doing. 

A simple 30-60 min video when you purchase a vehicle would be better then nothing. 

I like House bill 180, which requires a training course before buying or renting a UTV. Too many people get behind the wheel without any understanding of what they are doing. 

A simple 30-60 min video when you purchase a vehicle would be better then nothing. 
I agree, it can't hurt.  Love that Ca is doing the same for boating.  Way too many people getting killed for stupid mistakes.

I also like the noise law, no reason to run your SxS with a straight pipe, just annoying for everyone else.

I like the training aspect... We lead a tour of some friends around Sand Hollow.  They rented and the RZR's were BEAT UP.  Rental place said they have a roll over at least once a day.  The (stock) battery on one in our group had leaked all over and was mostly dead.  The rental company buys new every year and sells the ones that'r least beat at the end.  Said in 2021 they had a hell of a time getting replacement parts, especially fenders that were torn off constantly.

And yes they should pass a noise level test.  Because UTV's are street legal here, it will sound like an afternoon at Ocotillo Wells most weekends....

Moab is an odd and amazing area... They want the tourist $$$ but act annoyed that they come.  You get the "look" until they see the Utah plate on the back....

The most annoying sound, other than a loud pipe, in Utah is, "Hi, I just moved here from California!" 🤣😂

Back