New Large Chevy Bell housing on a Weddle S4 dust cover.

DOINSND

Reaction score
Looking for a Dust cover for the flywheel, under the starter for the new large Chevy bell housing on a Weddle S4. See in first two pics. Starter only has one bolt in loose just for pics.

I've talked to Weddle, Kartek and CBM. CBM had two you can see in pic but I think they are for another application. He said he thought the top one was for a S4 and the other for a Albins.

I guess I will probably have to make one? Would like two see pics of ones made.

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpeg

You don't need to run the dust covers. Most of the cars I prep don't have them unless it's a dry sump pan where more of the bellhousing is exposed. That's what the two pictured are for. 

You don't need to run the dust covers. Most of the cars I prep don't have them unless it's a dry sump pan where more of the bellhousing is exposed. That's what the two pictured are for. 
Thanks I wasn't sure it would be okay for sand to get in there

I've gone back and forth on this. 

I say it's fine to run without them in a rear engine car. It won't be scooping sand in there unless you run 30+ MPH in reverse (if you do, please take a video so I can watch it).

Any debris that gets in there, should just fall back out of the same opening under acceleration. Plus it helps ventilate the clutch and help keep it a little cooler. 

I've gone back and forth on this. 

I say it's fine to run without them in a rear engine car. It won't be scooping sand in there unless you run 30+ MPH in reverse (if you do, please take a video so I can watch it).

Any debris that gets in there, should just fall back out of the same opening under acceleration. Plus it helps ventilate the clutch and help keep it a little cooler. 
My application is in a mid engine set up so the sand will be blowing in there.

My application is in a mid engine set up so the sand will be blowing in there.
You do need them for a midengine. Pretty simple to fab up. Make a cardboard template and transfer to a piece of aluminum, bend the edge and drill a hole. 

I looked everywhere for one and couldn't find any. I did the safe thing piece of cardboard and made one

What we used on 2 buggies in camp.

Even rear engine, less sand in there is better.  My buggy had open holes (rear facing) that let sand in and eventually ate the throwout bearing by getting behind the contact ring.  No grease (I think I remember that correctly) needed for the S4 with the internal slave/throwout bearing combo, but there's always some oil coating everything, which sand sticks to and fouls things.

What we used on 2 buggies in camp.

Even rear engine, less sand in there is better.  My buggy had open holes (rear facing) that let sand in and eventually ate the throwout bearing by getting behind the contact ring.  No grease (I think I remember that correctly) needed for the S4 with the internal slave/throwout bearing combo, but there's always some oil coating everything, which sand sticks to and fouls things.
Agree with this.

I used to run a Fortin and the way they are designed a cover is over the push rod to engage/disengage the clutch.  Cover doesn't fit tight and sand gets into bell housing.

Definitely could see wear on clutch stuff after a couple of seasons.

Back