New guy with no money

jgj815

Reaction score
New guy here looking to use an S/C’d 3800 with the auto trans in a sand car. I know is old technology but, it’s something that I have wanted to do for a while. Can anyone point me in the direction? Would a donor car work? Or, is there a kit where I can use the engine and trans only? Thanks in advance!

Jay

First off, welcome to :gd2:

From what I've read and learned over the years, the weak link will be  the torque converter.  

I'm sure many more will chime in. 

Working with a VW based transaxle for a rear engine or mid engine chassis is the way it's done. 

What are your plans for a chassis? Where are you planning on using it?

First off, welcome to :gd2:

From what I've read and learned over the years, the weak link will be  the torque converter.  

I'm sure many more will chime in. 

Working with a VW based transaxle for a rear engine or mid engine chassis is the way it's done. 

What are your plans for a chassis? Where are you planning on using it?
Looking at a modified beam chassis with a longer travel conversion and bigger arms on the rear. Im wanting to make the ride a bit smoother. Not really needing a huge chassis like a DD or Tatum. As far as the trans, I’ll end up rebuilding it to take some beating. My closest sand box is Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan. 

a guy I know had one about 20 years ago.

seemed to me that he used the stock auto trans

with a jag diff and axles, it was long and not much travel.

I will see if I can still get ahold of him

a guy I know had one about 20 years ago.

seemed to me that he used the stock auto trans

with a jag diff and axles, it was long and not much travel.

I will see if I can still get ahold of him
Sounds good. I’ll be modifying the CV  cups to adapt a 930 or 934’s. 

you probably don't want to hear this but, you'll be money ahead if you just went the VW trans traditional route. A lot of folks running an ecotec on 091 trans. Any mid travel rail will be worth way more in the end with that setup. Keep resale value in mind. There will be way more fun from that than any heavy boat anchor engine/trans setup. Just my .02

Old guy with no money here. Wish I could tell you it gets easier. Ok, maybe not that old but definitely no money. Nothing else to contribute.

Carry on.

you probably don't want to hear this but, you'll be money ahead if you just went the VW trans traditional route. A lot of folks running an ecotec on 091 trans. Any mid travel rail will be worth way more in the end with that setup. Keep resale value in mind. There will be way more fun from that than any heavy boat anchor engine/trans setup. Just my .02
I understand. I’ve had the rear engine cars. Thought this would be a unique build. Plus, it wouldn’t be too bad on the streets at home either  

Back