Need to cut powder coated aluminum

Sinverguenza

Reaction score
I had a wing made for my buggy and then decided I wanted a spare tire. Only place to mount the spare tire was on top of the motor. 

Well my new to me trunk wing barely opens since the tire gets in the way. If I do another cut on the lid and add another piano hinge then this would work.  I was told to use a cut off wheel and another said to use a jigsaw with fine tooth blade. 

Lid is attacked with a piano hinge and rivets. So today I decide to drill out the the rivets. I did one when I realized that the hinge and rivets had been powder coated. 

I was thinking of unbolting the wing and flipping it over a table where the trunk part is hanging over the table and the lid which need to be cut is supported by the table. 

Is there an easier way?

Is there someone near Whittier that can do this for me?

I would prefer someone that has experience using whatever tool is best for the job. 

Do you know of a shop near my area that I can take it?

The shop that did it is like 45 mins away and longer depending on traffic. 

Thanks!

circular saw with an aggressive blade. if its thin aluminum, use something in the 40 tooth range. if its thicker (1/8" and up), 24 tooth framer blade is best. use ear protection, it will be loud but it cuts easy, straight and real simple.

fine teeth will plug up with aluminum, aggressive is better. 

I would use blue tape on both side.  Then clamp a small piece of angle iron or flat strap to create a straight line.  Then use your cutoff wheel and dotco.  Go slow, don't cut it all at once or it will overheat and burn the paint.  Work side to side and cut a little depth at a time.  Smooth as butter

Thanks everyone!!!

Nibbler is expensive for a one time use. 

How about sheets?

Any abrasive cutter (cut off wheel/saw) will burn the paint. Abrasive=friction=heat

Available at home depot or tractor supply. I can cut .080 stainless with them. Fwiw there is a strength and proper form curve to using these without making ugly cuts (crosshatches, bent material)

21707270-C3AA-4830-AA5C-25B51F70FAE6.jpeg

1B3EB224-F73F-4805-A19A-D61F3CA93F47.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any abrasive cutter (cut off wheel/saw) will burn the paint. Abrasive=friction=heat

Available at home depot or tractor supply. I can cut .080 stainless with them. Fwiw there is a strength and proper form curve to using these without making ugly cuts (crosshatches, bent material)

View attachment 17227

View attachment 17228
I only need 1 cut and it’s a straight cut. Maybe 40 inches long. 
What tool from Home Depot are you referring to?

The snips in the picture?

Thanks!

The place that made it probably has a sheer.  Take it back to them.  If not, find a local buggy shop that does aluminum.

Going to go way out on a ledge here.  It sounds like you need to find a full service shop. Because if doing a little project like this has you scratching your head your going to really start scratching when you have a real project.

Going to go way out on a ledge here.  It sounds like you need to find a full service shop. Because if doing a little project like this has you scratching your head your going to really start scratching when you have a real project.
This is something I haven’t done, nor do I want to Eff it up and then I can’t use what I have.
That’s why I asked if there was anyone near me that can do this. 

Shops in the area don’t want to touch it. People in the “know” have all given me different ways to cut it. 

Thanks for your input!

Back