Need Serpentine Belt number for shorter belt after removing power steering

r3meyer

Reaction score
Anyone have the part number that would shorten up the belt after removing a power steering pump from the acc pulleys?  Or maybe a idler pulley setup to keep a standard belt size?  Not sure which way to go here.

LS setup 

Not sure if it matters, but truck, corvette or F-body? 

I use a dayco 5060525.  No power steering pump or idler.  Just the crank pulley, alternator, water pump, and belt tensioner.  F-body brackets.

I use a dayco 5060525.  No power steering pump or idler.  Just the crank pulley, alternator, water pump, and belt tensioner.  F-body brackets.
Any chance you can take a picture of how you routed that?  I think i have the same layout but a pic would help a ton.

Do you have the number of the current belt? Then how much shorter you need on the new one? 

Any chance you can take a picture of how you routed that?  I think i have the same layout but a pic would help a ton.
That one is 52.50 inches. That’s what the last last part of the part number is. 525 is 52.5”.  So if you know how long you need you can look up your own part numbers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One time we were out in the dunes and Andrew Buck was driving and X5 that had a supercharger on it.

We were in the big stuff behind Oldsmobile and there wasn’t much chance to tow that thing out of there. I’ll bet that car was 4500 pounds.

The belt broke and we thought we would be there all night.

I always carried a spare belt with me and Andrew was able to use it and bypass the power steering. Got the car back to camp.

A little off topic but having an extra belt in your Sand car is a really good idea.

ABC

That one is 52.50 inches. That’s what the last last part of the part number is. 525 is 52.5”.  So if you know how long you need you can look up your own part numbers. 
Thanks.  Thats good know.

Take a string and run it the way you are running the belt measure how much it took and subtract an inch or two for (the tensioner) and buy that size belt. 

Use string and measure the length u need and go to any auto parts store. 

I always carry a spare belt cause of my blower. And I have a stock LS belt in case a buddy needs it. Have them in the car. 

Glad I ased.  Had no idea how easy it was to find a belt using a length.

Gi Joe - The more you know

Glad I ased.  Had no idea how easy it was to find a belt using a length.

Gi Joe - The more you know
You can also just cut your old one, route as you please, trim to length, and measure.  Bummer about string is standard belts are measured by OD and not ID (except V-belts), so you have to add whatever the thickness of the belt is to just the contact radius on each pulley (PITA).  

You can also just cut your old one, route as you please, trim to length, and measure.  Bummer about string is standard belts are measured by OD and not ID (except V-belts), so you have to add whatever the thickness of the belt is to just the contact radius on each pulley (PITA).  
That is a much better way if you have a long old belt. Still take into account the tensioner and go an inch shorter. 

You can also return an unused belt if it turns out to be to short or long. 

Once you have the correct belt size buy a spear and write down the length/part number. If your car throws the belt, which the guy behind you NEVER sees and it is lost forever at the minimum you don't have to hope you remember the correct size.

That is a much better way if you have a long old belt. Still take into account the tensioner and go an inch shorter. 

You can also return an unused belt if it turns out to be to short or long. 

Once you have the correct belt size buy a spear and write down the length/part number. If your car throws the belt, which the guy behind you NEVER sees and it is lost forever at the minimum you don't have to hope you remember the correct size.
Yep.  I usually note the location of the stock tensioner, buy the sizes around my measurement to see which one ends up about the same, and return the others. 

String worked just fine when I needed a belt for my blower setup.  First belt worked awesome. 

String worked just fine when I needed a belt for my blower setup.  First belt worked awesome. 
Huh.  Whenever I did that, always ended up off.  I was running a belt on a setup that had very little adjustment in the manual tensioner though.  With a spring type tensioner, there's a little more leeway.

Damn that's some tight clearance there!  I might see if I can find one and keep running my idler.  Glad to know it can be done like that.
That is not much belt wrap around the crank pulley or the water pump. I would think that adding one or two idler pulleys would be beneficial. Could move the alternator up to where the PS pump was to get it out of the sand and have better belt routing.

Back