Need Pictures or Info of Trailer Fuel Stations Please

Dockmaster

Reaction score
I'm finally ready to start on  a project to add a fuel station to my enclosed trailer. I would greatly appreciate some photos of folks that have these so I can get some real world examples of how they are set up. I'm mainly looking to see how they route plumbing for the fill line, vent lines, etc. I have fabrication capability to build whatever works best. I'm planning on building an aluminum tank somewhere in the 50-80 gallon range. I have a pump already and plan to put a 50' hose reel in a box on the tongue of the trailer.  I want to keep my tank as high as possible and not have it hang down below the frame any more than necessary. At the same time, I need to minimize the amount of floor space in the trailer that gets disrupted. Toy Haulers usually have lots of ground clearance so I don't think those fuel stations are very applicable to my situation. Thanks in advance for any input!

This should be interesting.  So you want it inside or outside, but under your trailer? I have seen fuel cells in the cabinets or the floor of cabinets, I have seen tongue mounted tanks and systems, and seen side mounted tanks inside as well.  So you have lots of options. Following....

My plan is to fabricate a tank that sits under the trailer, between the main frame rails, above the axles. I will install a fill cap just forward of the fender on the left side (driver's side). I will mount the pump under the trailer and hard pipe inside the frame rail up to the tongue and into a tongue box. Then as mentioned, have a hose reel with 50' inside the tongue box. I want to be able to service vehicles from either side of the trailer and have enough hose to reach everything without doing the vehicle shuffle just so a hose can get to them. 

The only unfortunate thing is my new Moho pretty much forces me to fill it at truck stops so I can fill both sides. And truck stops only have diesel so I'm stuck making an additional stop to fill the trailer with gas or take it to a gas station before I head out with the trailer behind the Moho. 

Mine is 60 gallons and uses every bit of space between the frame rails and cross members. It hangs down a little and so do the brackets. No filler neck, just a small hole in the floor for the filler and cap with a small locking access door on the side of the trailer. Just have to make sure I don't park over the filler if I need to fill it up. 

If you mount near the axles I don't see why you can't hang down below the frame/members a couple inches.

My generator has it's own fuel tank in the left front corner of the trailer that hangs down a tiny bit and it's never been scraped or touched by anything and neither has my fuel station tank and my trailer's 20 years old.

IMG_20220421_222449.jpg

IMG_20220421_222233.jpg

IMG_20220421_222342.jpg

IMG_20220421_222333.jpg

IMG_20220421_222757.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pics and info. That’s an interesting way to do the filler, haven’t seen that before. I’m not sure that will work for me as pretty much my entire floor is covered when loaded. But I’ll do some checking. And yes, I can hang down a few inches, possibly even a bit more since I plan to stay above the axles. I have triple spread axles so there is a lot of area above them. Just not a lot of height. 

Mine is 60 gallons and uses every bit of space between the frame rails and cross members. It hangs down a little and so do the brackets. No filler neck, just a small hole in the floor for the filler and cap with a small locking access door on the side of the trailer. Just have to make sure I don't park over the filler if I need to fill it up. 

If you mount near the axles I don't see why you can't hang down below the frame/members a couple inches.

My generator has it's own fuel tank in the left front corner of the trailer that hangs down a tiny bit and it's never been scraped or touched by anything and neither has my fuel station tank and my trailer's 20 years old.

View attachment 30522

View attachment 30523

View attachment 30524

View attachment 30525

View attachment 30526
I kind of like that filler in the floor idea. Saves space for guys with wide cars. 

Back