Need engine advice

crazytestpilot

Reaction score
Hi, I'm ready to dump my VW engine and go water pumper. Problem is that I am very new to this and haven't got a clue about what engine to use. I am hoping some folks here may have some good ideas.  It would need to be a four cyl. 140hp+ , junkyard cheap and easy to find. I guess it also needs to be on Kennedy engineering's list for adapter plates and of course not super confusing to hook up. Mating to a built bus 6 rib trans-axle.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Picture of your car as it sits now might get you a better answer of what would fit your cars frame and suspension.  

I did that same swap with an ecotec and really enjoyed it. I think the cheapest route would be a Honda j35 though. 

I would start with a NA 2.5 Subaru. They are cheap to build and have great reliable power. 
Subie all the way, low center of gravity like the VW, and not that much more weight.  You can pick up motors pretty cheap as well.

I did that same swap with an ecotec and really enjoyed it. I think the cheapest route would be a Honda j35 though. 
As long as he has room.

I've helped a number of guys going from VW to Honda J.  If their engine was still in good running condition, a few of them even came out money ahead when it was all said and done.

1 vote for a Subie. Perfect sized to replace VW, light weight, good power and tons of parts/upgrades later if you want. It used to be around $3500 for the cheapest swap. That would be a JDM motor, get new computer/wire harness, adaptor plate and radiator. You have to do the work to clean-up of the motor. 

Or do it once and do it right.....go to John at Outfront.

Another idea is to sell your car and buy another. You may get other upgrades in addition to the motor. 
The incremental cost between the two cars may be less than the engine swap and requires less work, blood, sweat and tears. 

My two cents is this, if you love your car and plan to keep for the foreseeable future do the engine swap.

I went cheap on my first car and now I have pretty much changed or upgraded everything on the car to the tune of double what I paid for the car maybe more.

I could have bought a car for less that already had all the upgrades and saved myself some cash and headaches.

K24 Honda is a swap that is pretty straight forward in some cars.  Bullet proof in the stock configuration and can be boosted later safely.  Kennedy has the kit, I helped a buddy do this swap into his previously Subaru powered rail.

You left out something.....computer controlled, or carb?

Computer controlled....Toyota 4SFE (2.2 outa a Camry, one of thei rbest motors ever, 125HP), K24, or its predicessor (CRV, 2.0 16 valves), Nissan Sentra motor, EcoTec (90s, and early 2000s Prontiac Grand Prix, Cavalier and etc).

Non-computer controlled....3.0 NIssan V-6 from the 90s, w/a 4bbl manifold and maybe an HEI, Subie w/a a distirbuter adapted in and webers, Ford 2.3 Ranger/Pinto (Heavy, but durable), Ford 2.8V-6 (Heavy, but durable), Ford 2.0 4cyl (same comments),  Nissan Z24, the list goes on and on

depending on car a honda is a great option cheap to buy and easy to find.Ecotec is great too but it will be longer so cage may have to be modified.I know in my car i was set to go ecotec and measurements were withing half inch of rear cage i got lucky and found a j35 here for 1500 with ecu and adpater so just left buying headers for it to complete plus the misc stuff fuel system,cooling system etc.

Radiator i just got an alm cherokee radiator off e bay for 250 bucks with fans,going on its fourth year now and cools great.I also did the work myself so that saved me alot in labor too sold my 2275 for 2400 was hoping to get more as parts in there were solid but then again i also got a great deal on my 3.5 so it offset think in end it cost me few hundred out of pocket so not a bad deal overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I I have done the Turbo VW to Ecotec  and VW to Subi a few times. The VW to ecotec  is easy because size and weigh are similar (ecotec is 2" longer) and the radiator can be pretty small  Jeep Xj from Champion for $250 ish (only 140HP - HP makes heat)

If you have an 002 or better and 091 transaxle it should be good - a swing axle - will not hold up

all require adapters and flywheelsa - that is a major cost - although VW's sell for a pretty penny today to offset

the Ecotec weighs more, but not nearly what the Honda does and as @Kraut_n_Rice said its bigger.   IMO you need a bigger radiator.  You can likely find a Honda cheaper today and mod the harness or have it done - ecotec's are are getting harder to find at good prices and you need to figure in the cost of the harness and tuned ECM , leaving ecm stock will cause you heartburn - where the Honda might easier there as well

while I love Subi's I have no idea where you find them cheap anymore and you need an fairly expensive ecm and harness

my 2 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
I I have done the Turbo VW to Ecotec  and VW to Subi a few times. The VW to ecotec  is easy because size and weigh are similar (ecotec is 2" longer) and the radiator can be pretty small  Jeep Xj from Champion for $250 ish (only 140HP - HP makes heat)

If you have an 002 or better and 091 transaxle it should be good - a swing axle - will not hold up

all require adapters and flywheelsa - that is a major cost - although VW's sell for a pretty penny today to offset

the Ecotec weighs more, but not nearly what the Honda does and as @Kraut_n_Rice said its bigger.   IMO you need a bigger radiator.  You can likely find a Honda cheaper today and mod the harness or have it done - ecotec's are are getting harder to find at good prices and you need to figure in the cost of the harness and tuned ECM , leaving ecm stock will cause you heartburn - where the Honda might easier there as well

while I love Subi's I have no idea where you find them cheap anymore and you need an fairly expensive ecm and harness

my 2 cents
Done 2 honda swaps using the cherokee radiators both run cool.Its plenty for a 3.5.plus they are low profile as well.only a ft tall.

I have had a couple of VW sand cars in my time,  

When i went to a VW to Water cooled motor,  I never completed the project, doing this swap for me was hard to rap my head around the electronics at the time, 

If i was doing this now,  I would try to find the most complete package out there,  So who has the easiest drop in ECM system, 

For example on Larger sand cars, the LS, is pretty much ready to go with 3-4 ecms to choose from,  you have a ground-Power-Egni-fuel pump-fans and the car runs, 

I would want a system as simple as that, nothing that i would have to play with the harness wiring to get running, 

So who has the most simple kit, 

Done 2 honda swaps using the cherokee radiators both run cool.Its plenty for a 3.5.plus they are low profile as well.only a ft tall.
Its amazing how well they work given the low profile - I used the 3 fan version  with the shroud  - simple and cheap

Back