My J35 Turbo Build

ChasingSand

Reaction score
Ever since I blew up the rotary engine and went to Honda I have wanted to go turbo and finally have gathered up all the parts to make it happen. Thought this thread might help some people who are doing the same or have any plans to do turbo soon. 

Build Specs: Stock Block, 40mm wastegate set to 10 PSI, AEM Series 2 ECU (Dardan Tuned) ,  TO4 turbo and 550cc injectors running a 50/50 110 and 91 mix  

947D0E14-C0A7-4EC6-8236-77BC478F6060.jpeg

Added Breathers to the Valve Covers then did some wrinkle pant to clean them up.

30274C53-86CD-493E-A0E3-DB2FF220D422.jpeg

612D6419-A233-4539-B958-0272AFEB2C8D.jpeg

Mounted the intercooler in front of the raditator

3678BE65-836A-45E5-8399-30967237BF74.jpeg

Figuring out the cold side piping

F111B9F0-F73D-4533-AA56-483B680A9CDB.jpeg

P2R billet fuel rails with the RC550 injectors. A word on those injectors is that RC did have to modify them to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car just went to Dave at Hot Head Headers yesterday and he is creating my side mount turbo header.

Pictures to follow after.

Nice. Any thoughts to run an ethanol based fuel like E85 or E54 depending on where you are? You can safely make more power. 10 psi on mixed pump and race will put you at at the ragged edge. Tuner will have to be very careful with timing.  For the cost of even 1/2 race gas ethanol would be a better way to go. At least my .02

Also are you going to run a boost controller vs just spring on the wastegate. A simple controller works very well and they are cheap. Not sure if the AEM has a pwm output to run it. 

Nice. Any thoughts to run an ethanol based fuel like E85 or E54 depending on where you are? You can safely make more power. 10 psi on mixed pump and race will put you at at the ragged edge. Tuner will have to be very careful with timing.  For the cost of even 1/2 race gas ethanol would be a better way to go. At least my .02
I would love run E85 but my injectors are the limiting factor at only 550cc. Other issue is my fuel lines whole new are not rated for ethanol. I might just end up running straight race gas to error on the side of caution. 

Also are you going to run a boost controller vs just spring on the wastegate. A simple controller works very well and they are cheap. Not sure if the AEM has a pwm output to run it. 
I was not planning on it as I didn’t really see a need for it. Is there any benefit to it at only 10psi?

I would love run E85 but my injectors are the limiting factor at only 550cc. Other issue is my fuel lines whole new are not rated for ethanol. I might just end up running straight race gas to error on the side of caution. 
In the long run you will be better off to put in larger injectors and build a fuel system with PTFE fuel lines. How much is race gas right now compared to ethanol based pump gas? Think about the cost long term and what you are paying each trip.  Plus the hassle to go buy it. Ethanol is magic in boosted motors due to its cooling effect. 

I was not planning on it as I didn’t really see a need for it. Is there any benefit to it at only 10psi?
Boost level does not matter. Great explanation HERE from Rockwood.  But your computer does need a pulse width modulation output to run it. 

Boost level does not matter. Great explanation HERE from Rockwood.  But your computer does need a pulse width modulation output to run it. 
Does this only apply to an Electric Boost Controller or does a manual version accomplish this as well?

In the long run you will be better off to put in larger injectors and build a fuel system with PTFE fuel lines. How much is race gas right now compared to ethanol based pump gas? Think about the cost long term and what you are paying each trip.  Plus the hassle to go buy it. Ethanol is magic in boosted motors due to its cooling effect. 
My overall goal with what I would call the first revision was just to get the turbo setup going and do it on a budget as I have two other projects for the car happening in this off season. I plan to build the block at some point so I can run 15-18lbs of boost and will then go with a larger injector and new fuel lines to run E85.

I got a smoking deal on the injectors and also redid the fuel lines when I first bought the car two years ago when E85 was not on my mind.

His real limiting factor is the stock bottom end.  No need to get fancy with fuels now.  Have it tuned for pump gas and enjoy.  Buy another cheap junk yard engine and build it up in the back ground while you're still duning. 

Does this only apply to an Electric Boost Controller or does a manual version accomplish this as well?
Depends on the design. Turbosmart’s mechanical controller does a little, electronic will be best as it interrupts 100% of the signal until target.  

Back