My FAVORITE Ski Movie !!! 35 Years!!! Yikes! The Blizzard of AAAAHHHHHSSS

Poule43

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Go to 44 seconds in !!! Best Line ever and it says EVERYTHING that is WRONG with the USA " Land Of the Lawyer!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Glen Plake...dude with the mohawk, considered to be the pioneer of Extreme skiing!

Cool videos @Poule43 reminds me of the Warren Miller stuff!

Some of the best days in school were the Assembly's where all the kids gathered in the cafeteria for Warren Miller films.

:oto:

:dbart:

Warren Miller ski films are the awesome.

No love for  "Hotdog...The Movie"  or "Better Off Dead"?  LOL!
better-off-dead-pure-snow.gif

Glen Plake...dude with the mohawk, considered to be the pioneer of Extreme skiing!
Met him on a gondola ride once...He had his hair down with a hat....didnt recognize him.......asked if I minded if he blazed one up....said not at all..... he followed us(I was on a super G Snowboard with hard boots) ......he had DH boards....... Man could he RIP !!!  watched him in the half pipe on DH skis (223s) just going off!!!

That guy can Ski!!!!!

:poule:

Warren Miller ski films are the awesome.

No love for  "Hotdog...The Movie"  or "Better Off Dead"?  LOL!
Come on, .........I LOVE this scene in Hotdog !!!!! Classic !!!! "Right in da Middle !" :lol:

@Sand Shark you gotta admit, The use of the Old School JT chest protector in the Chinese Downhill is Classic !!!

Hot Dog was a great movie.

I worked at Pat's Ski Shop for 3 years, went to a few pre screening's of Warren Miller films, He had an office in Hermosa Beach. He would read the script as the movie played.

Blake was in the shop several times and I got to ski with him a couple of times on mfg. demo days. 

and if you never skied on a set of 223's you missed out!!! Went thru a speed trap at 56mph on mine!

I was lucky, I grew up skiing with Warren Miller and his family for years.  Warren was my grandfather's best friend.  Warren would come over to his house every Christmas and show movies to us in the living room.  My grandparents lived in Sun Valley and Warren would always be in town showing his movie in Sun Valley at the Opera house.  We would also see the movies in Santa Monica every year.  I was a kid, but the memories were awesome.  One time, I was probably 10 years old, we went to Mammoth and skied and hung out with Warren and Dave McCoy for the weekend, pretty epic.

Skiing was our family activity; my grandfather was part owner in My Baldy in the late 1960's, he also provided Dave McCoy with his first engines for his first rope tows in Mammoth (my grandfather owned Cummins Diesel locations in SD, LA and SF in the 1950 and 60's).  

Next Monday, I will be in Sun Valley burying my grandmother (98 yrs old) next to my grandfather as well as spreading my Dad's and Uncles ashes there.  An end of an era for our family for sure.

Most don't know, I have worked in the Ski Industry (or closely related) virtually my whole life.  In College, I ran one of the ski shops for Sport Chalet, when I graduated from college my first job was working for Head Skis, San Marco Boots (now Head Boots) as a sales rep.  

Now fast forward 30 years, I have been fortunate to ski and hang out with some amazing athletes.  Skiing with Scott Smidt and Glen Plake certainly are highlights.  But Blizard of Oz is one of the best movies ever!!  

Met him on a gondola ride once...He had his hair down with a hat....didnt recognize him.......asked if I minded if he blazed one up....said not at all..... he followed us(I was on a super G Snowboard with hard boots) ......he had DH boards....... Man could he RIP !!!  watched him in the half pipe on DH skis (223s) just going off!!!

That guy can Ski!!!!!

:poule:
Met him many years ago in Mammoth.   He was the only one jumping off Hangman's and bombing the hill the rest of the way down.  This was back when people were skiing on long skis.     He was fun to watch in moguls.     

Cool stuff. I miss going to Ski-Dazzle at the LA Convention Center as a kid, it meant winter was near and endless weekends in Big Bear for us where around the corner. 

It was the only other thing we loved doing besides Glamis in the Winter.

I was lucky, I grew up skiing with Warren Miller and his family for years.  Warren was my grandfather's best friend.  Warren would come over to his house every Christmas and show movies to us in the living room.  My grandparents lived in Sun Valley and Warren would always be in town showing his movie in Sun Valley at the Opera house.  We would also see the movies in Santa Monica every year.  I was a kid, but the memories were awesome.  One time, I was probably 10 years old, we went to Mammoth and skied and hung out with Warren and Dave McCoy for the weekend, pretty epic.

Skiing was our family activity; my grandfather was part owner in My Baldy in the late 1960's, he also provided Dave McCoy with his first engines for his first rope tows in Mammoth (my grandfather owned Cummins Diesel locations in SD, LA and SF in the 1950 and 60's).  

Next Monday, I will be in Sun Valley burying my grandmother (98 yrs old) next to my grandfather as well as spreading my Dad's and Uncles ashes there.  An end of an era for our family for sure.

Most don't know, I have worked in the Ski Industry (or closely related) virtually my whole life.  In College, I ran one of the ski shops for Sport Chalet, when I graduated from college my first job was working for Head Skis, San Marco Boots (now Head Boots) as a sales rep.  

Now fast forward 30 years, I have been fortunate to ski and hang out with some amazing athletes.  Skiing with Scott Smidt and Glen Plake certainly are highlights.  But Blizard of Oz is one of the best movies ever!!  
thas damn amazing man! one lucky guy

Back