My Experience with Outfront Motorsports

Reece Pettersen

Reaction score
I want to send a huge thank you to @John@Outfront for the incredible service and attention. He recently built me a new motor, installed it, and had me running in 1 weeks time! Here is the story....

I bought a light weight 2 seat Alumicraft with a no-name Subaru EJ motor. Immediately after buying the car and rolling off the trailer I had issues getting it to run. After a week of chasing electrical issues and calls to John, we got the car running. My first trip with the car I knew that the motor was a ticking time bomb... It was making 28 pounds of boost and what felt like 600-700hp in a 1,600lb car. I immediately noticed the head gasket was damaged due to overheating issues. After the weekend, I called John and he said to bring the car straight to him for a new head gasket and dyno to turn the boost down to 15lbs to make it though the season. Once John pulled the heads off, he found a piston was hitting, block was toast, and the car would need a fresh engine. I had two options; build a new Subaru motor or replace the Subaru with a new 4 piston racing K24 engine that I had my eye on, but I would miss the rest of the season. John made the decision pretty easy for me when he told me that he could pull the old motor, build me a new RA engine, utilize my old heads, install the new motor, and dyno it within a weeks time for my birthday weekend... I was shocked and didn't really believe it would happen. 

After giving John the green light, I got status updates every day from John and his full attention when I had questions. He did everything he said he would and had the car done in a week utilizing a computer and software he was unfamiliar with. The end result was a ~500hp RA Subaru on 12 lbs of boost with forged pistons and 1/2" head studs. The first drive with the car far exceeded my expectations and the finish work was spot on, not one loose bolt/wire/hose clamp. The car has more bottom end than I could have imagined for a turbo engine, pulls hard though the powerband and is a blast to drive.

I want to thank John again for the great experience doing business with Outfront Motorsports. 

View attachment IMG_7933.mp4

We just got back from glamis with our new motor from John and Jeremy , and Brian  that 2,5 runs like a raped ape thanks again Outfront for a reason! thanks Zach Steele
i knew you were going to have a blast too!

that car is so much fun to drive now i will pull away from my dads car with a 2.5 turbo from C&G

Glad your car is running tight Reece!!  Looks like a killer

Wish all the stories ended this way.

Damnnnn!!! Pucker factor right there!! Hell yeah!! Congrats! Nothing but awesome comes out from John! 
Very little makes me pucker after years of racing... those moments happen every 50 miles in a 1600 car lol  :crazyeyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive heard nothing but great things about Outfront and John... 

On that note, I wish I had a subi

Update to my experience with @John@Outfront. President's  (My B-day weekend) John had me fixed up to make the trip (in 1 weeks time, like he said). The thing ripped all 5 days till the last ride when I blew out a spindle, I figured it WAS Johns fault for making the car go so fast!!! LOL

All the reviews of this guy are the same!!!

Seriously move to AZ John. It would be a lot easier on us Dry heat guys!

I just had my first experience with John and Outfront.  The whole crew is top notch.  I made an appoint with John to put a car I just purchased on the Dyno first thing Friday morning.  I came from Rancho Cucamonga which as about 40 miles from the shop.  As soon as I got off the freeway,  I realized I left the trailer keys at home.  I thought that was going to blow the whole day for me and they were not going to want to get a later start.    The guys could have made me feel like an idiot (I already felt dumb) but, they didn't and they let me drop off the trailer and drive the 80 mile roundtrip to get my keys.  Once I got back and unloaded the car they got right to work on it for me.  Turns out the car was running on 3 cylinders and not making near the power it should have been.  Spark plug swap, new fuel pump, etc. and John's expertise on the dyno got the car dialed.  Left there with 446HP on 19lbs of boost and a car that will stay in power!  I cannot wait to get this thing on the sand and am 100% a new loyal Outfront Motorsports customer.  John, I now see why you have such a great reputation.  Thank you!

Back