My Chit is to short Man (toy hauler extension)

J Alper

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Was tired of pulling the front tires off to make the car fit,  car 16.3 Garage was 16'  

Time to fix that 

First step is to remove the door, I had a bunch of bags of leaves at the time, so we flipped it down on to the trash bags of leaves, 

Next was the hardest part, Removing all the lights and molding and rear awning, 

IMG_9505.JPG

UDTN6446.JPG

IMG_9927.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

OOOHHHH Snap!!!!  An Extension!!!!  :lol:

Gonna be nice to have it all fit in place!!!!  Keep the pics coming!!!

:poule:

We installed all the lights and rails with the extension on the ground, was easier to work with, 

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

Around 80 holes had to be drilled and tapped to a 3/8 coarse thread, 

That's a great idea.  Looks pretty straight forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. Did you make this yourself, or buy it from Toy Hauler Extensions in Havasu?

Looks good. Did you make this yourself, or buy it from Toy Hauler Extensions in Havasu?
I got mine from Toy Hauler Extensions, it was OK,  the way they did the roof it leaks and rusts,  

If i did it my self i would make the bottom out of metal that the car drives on and the rest out of aluminum 

if anyone makes there own, i would make a frame and sheet it with aluminum like a box trailer with double stick tape, 

for the person that does not have time to fab, then there kit will work, you would need to seam tape the top 

They tack weld steel sheets in a rolled angle iron for the roof 

The Toy Hauler Extensions is really nice but the roof section, I wish the roof was better built for water, 

The only thing I would improve, from an appearance point of view, is maybe paint the bottom portion black to match the side of the trailer. Other than that, looks great!

The only thing I would improve, from an appearance point of view, is maybe paint the bottom portion black to match the side of the trailer. Other than that, looks great!
I felt the Same, 

will have to update the pics, the bottom now is painted with Crinkle paint to give the same look,  make a huge difference,  as the graphics, I was going to add them with the wife her Kricket Machine, but want to strip all the graphics and polish out the white,  

anyone doing this i would use roof tape to connect the roofs together 

I got mine from Toy Hauler Extensions, it was OK,  the way they did the roof it leaks and rusts,  

If i did it my self i would make the bottom out of metal that the car drives on and the rest out of aluminum 

if anyone makes there own, i would make a frame and sheet it with aluminum like a box trailer with double stick tape, 

for the person that does not have time to fab, then there kit will work, you would need to seam tape the top 

They tack weld steel sheets in a rolled angle iron for the roof 
I ask because I had them install a 30" extension for me back in 2018.  I immediately had water leakage issues with it.  They didn't properly apply the sealant between the roof and wall sections.  There were also pinholes in some welded areas that let water in.  I ended up using eternabond tape to seal all the joints on the top and it's been good since.  The thing seems structurally sound though.  My 4 seat can am is loaded with the back axle entirely on the extension and it's been good for 4 seasons so far.

I ask because I had them install a 30" extension for me back in 2018.  I immediately had water leakage issues with it.  They didn't properly apply the sealant between the roof and wall sections.  There were also pinholes in some welded areas that let water in.  I ended up using eternabond tape to seal all the joints on the top and it's been good since.  The thing seems structurally sound though.  My 4 seat can am is loaded with the back axle entirely on the extension and it's been good for 4 seasons so far.
I agree, I installed mine my self,  I think i will Eternabod full roof, and the sides that attaché together this will remove the black beam and seal up the two halfs, 

if i did another trailer i would make my own out of aluminum top section all welded 

or someday 3D print it 

I know Jalper has a big dog trailer. But you guys with small trailers please get this idea out of your head. 

One of these extensions was installed on what looked to be a 23’ toy hauler and it put the trailer way off balance. 

Suv and trailer turned over and kid got injected and crushed at the top of the cajon pass a couple years. 

The big trailers can take the weight way far behind the axles because they have a chit ton of tongue weight. Bumper pulls can not. 

I know Jalper has a big dog trailer. But you guys with small trailers please get this idea out of your head. 

One of these extensions was installed on what looked to be a 23’ toy hauler and it put the trailer way off balance. 

Suv and trailer turned over and kid got injected and crushed at the top of the cajon pass a couple years. 

The big trailers can take the weight way far behind the axles because they have a chit ton of tongue weight. Bumper pulls can not. 
Total weight was around 350lbs bare,  with no door, no awning,   This trailer was 46 Foot total with a total of 2600 hitch, 

My neighbor purchased a 43' 13-foot garage and add 3 foot,  and it makes his 5ther sway we removed the leveling system and moved the jacks back to the furthest wheel forward and moved it to the back,   This was a Ton of work 

So if this is your only option i would be prepared to make the trailer balance correct,  

For me I only needed 4 more inches of room    This extension is only 12''  they wanted me to go to a 16'',  but pushed them to do a custom 12''  I only moved my car back 3''  to make it work for me, 

if you add a 3-4' extension and run your toys back 2 feet of that, then you might have to move the wheels and fender well skirts 

On Jody it was easier to move the wheels because we did a 4'' I beam lift on the trailer at the same time, 

Nicely done! For an extra 3” I’ve seen peeps alter the ramp / door to fit the engine cage…

Man you ‘tool n fix it’ guys trip me out.. we all have our ‘skills’ this is NOT one of mine…

However, I can jerry rig anything to get is back to camp.

Totally impressed. Looks great. Reminds me, bought some TH calk.. just have a few spots to redo. 

i threw away my last TH cause the front cap had a 1 foot crack and I didn’t have it fixed (rigged a temporary and lost).

Nice work. My best buddy/across the street neighbor who bought my RZR 2014 with the 1110cc big bore kit is fortunately in our camp.

Very successful plumbing business and was re building motors, transmissions, basically full restoration with his Dad since he was a kid (he’s 50 like me).

Great to have at least 1 guy in camp with serious ‘skills.’

Best

ABC👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Back