Murrieta. Chaparral fire. Too close for comfort

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
This fire started 7 miles away from my house. I’m in an evacuation area. The main road to my house is closed 1 mile away. We have some neighbor friends who’s husbands are staying behind. The fire is probably 4 miles away and ash is falling all over my house. Unfortunately we are in utah for the weekend so I’m getting reports from my neighbors. 0 % contained. Please pray for the wind to stop and fireman to stay safe snd be as Effie client as they can

Last edited by a moderator:
that sucks John!!!  i hope they contain it!

This fire started 7 miles away from my house. I’m in an evacuation area. The main road to my house is closed 1 mile away. We have some neighbor friends who’s husbands are staying behind. The fire is probably 4 miles away and ash is falling all over my house. Unfortunately we are in utah for the weekend so I’m getting reports from my neighbors. 0 % contained. Please pray for the wind to stop and fireman to stay safe snd be as Effie client as they can
John the forward rate of spread has been stopped and they are working to put in containment lines as we speak.  

Best of luck. I always stress out on these fires, living in a fire zone. 

The smoke reached the foothills of the San Bernardino Mountains by 4pm.

I used to off road this area in the early 80s. Love this area.

It got within a mile of our home. There were a few homes that were near the origination spot that were burned down. appears some friends of a neighbor were target shooting is what caused the fire. It looks like at least for us we are safe

Last edited by a moderator:
It got within a mile of our home. There were a few homes that were near the origination spot that were burned down. appears some friends of a neighbor were target shooting is what caused the fire. It looks like at least for us we are safe
Hate to see that.  Sucks that some people lost their homes, and sucks that you can bet more shooting restrictions are on the way.  Glad your home is safe.

always wondered how shooting could start a fire until our group was shooting and started one.  Crazy, Fire dept put it out quick and no harm. but crazy how it can happen so fast

Sure is sad to hear of people losing the possessions it took a lifetime to obtain. I guess as long as life was not lost you can always start over.

I have never figured out how a fire starts from target practice. Unless you are firing tracers or Tannerite. I have witnessed  metal cans with gas in them being shot with no fiery results. Guess anything is possible.

always wondered how shooting could start a fire until our group was shooting and started one.  Crazy, Fire dept put it out quick and no harm. but crazy how it can happen so fast
Snuck that one past me. What type of ammo did they use? I know they start fires on Camp Pendleton ranges but they use tracers.

Snuck that one past me. What type of ammo did they use? I know they start fires on Camp Pendleton ranges but they use tracers.
FMJ out of a 308,  forget what we were shooting at.  I think a metal can.  think it sparked off some rocks. was shooting into a mountain where everyone else has been shooting for years. 

Back