Ms3 Pro EVO install in a DTD II

Sandymomo425

Reaction score
Made the decision  to convert my car from a mefi 4b to a mega squirt 3 pro evo. Used amp efi LS harness from DIYautotune.com https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3pro-drop-58x-ls-plug-play-harness-w-ecu-evo/IMG_4624.png

I've been around 4 other cars that have the ms3 pro in them, very impressed with how user friendly they are. Also looking forward to upgrading from the dated mefi 4b and the “primitive” tune that was in it. 
IMG_4602.jpegIMG_4621.jpeg

Cool project.  Was the mefi broken, or was there a feature it didn't have, or did you just want a project?  

Cool project.  Was the mefi broken, or was there a feature it didn't have, or did you just want a project?  
Mefi wasn’t broken, going to the mega squirt I get the ability to self tune on the fly which is huge when we constantly change altitude between the places we ride. Also sequential injection and other updated faster ways to control the motor. 

My old mefi was locked by it’s original seller. I bought the tuning software from them to try and make adjustments to low end drive ability. Wasn’t able to make them like I wanted. Always ran rich because it was tuned in southern Cali and we ride mostly in Idaho. 

Awesome,  keep us updated on how it goes.  

Got it running today, implanted a tune from my buddy scott, had to change the engine size, crank settings and injector sizes. But fired right up first try! Now on to tuning with some street tires on the county roads to get a good base before heading to the sand! 

IMG_4627.mov

Attachments

With the good there is always some bad to come along with it. 

When I was wiring the 12v acc trigger wire for the ECM and intergraded Relay box I was meet with some head scratching. Luckily I was only testing the trigger wire at the time and once I put the wire to a 12v source the wire instantly turned red hot and burned my fingers. Thinking I had the wrong wire I checked the wiring diagram again but came to the same white wire with red strip. followed the wire back to the Relay box and made sure it was triggering the right blade on the relays (5). all was good... Ground, constant 12v, and power out wires where all in the right place as well. no fuses had blown either. I ended up phoning in a friend. Mr. Koch, he came over and had the idea to check the relays to make sure they where not having internal issues. A few would ohm out correctly but the others had an open circuit, so we took all of them out of the box left them out and put power to the trigger wire and it had no reaction, all pointing to the relays. We tried one at a time in the box all would create the same short. took a relay out of Mr. Koch's chevy volt put it in and it worked as it should. The relay CLICKED and the ECM came to life!! So off to the store to buy all new relays.

The next problem I came across was a CAM Fault and Sync Fault light. Another head scratcher. started checking the simple things, but couldn't find any issues right off the bat. Started brain storming with Mr. Koch again. he had the idea to check the wires to make sure I'm getting 5v power, sensor ground and a signal wire in the connector. on my initial inspection of the connector i had 5v on both outer pins and ground in the middle. Exactly what the diagram shows for the cam sensor plug. Then Koch had the idea to follow the wires back to the ECM and be sure that the 5v source and signal wires are not backwards like a LS1 cam sensor would need. Well turns out AMP EFI makes them all for a LS1 style cam sensor even when you buy the harness for a 58 tooth crank. After switching the pins around the CAM and SYNC fault where gone! car was running even better the before with no cam signal. 

With the cam signal not working I also had a no start when hot I was fighting, luckily fixing the cam wiring fixed that issue as well!

Now with the simple issues out of the way we can start street tuning the thing!!

Back