Mounting STU's

richard h

Reaction score
How high on the air pressure is one willing to go to seat beads? The rear side set on both wheels at 24psi. Worked and worked deflating and soaping up tire and wheel and ran psi to 30. Still can't get to seat. What is safe to inflate too to set beads?

Try setting them in the sun for a while then again soap heavy. 

Use Tire lube on the bead and the wheel, Make sure the valve core is removed when airing them up. 

The max tire PSI printed on the sidewall can be used as a loose estimate to seat the beads. I wouldn't think 45 or 50 PSI would hurt the tire or make it unsafe, throw a blanket over the tire and wear eye protection. This time of year there's not much sun, a hair drier can be used to warm it up, and as recommended already lots of mounting lube.  Fwiw, sometimes it takes 100 PSI to pop the bead on certain performance tires, it is what it is there is no other way to do it. I don't suggest that much in a sand tire though. 

Fwiw, I use hairspray.  I've done 3 or 4 sets.  I would use a scotch bright to make sure the bead is nice and clean.  

Well good news is we have sun here. I did use a wire brush first and then sand paper to make sure the entire area was clean and smooth. I will try again this morning and if no good off to Discount to let them do them. 

Thanks for everyone reply's.

I tried to get them to put a set of slicks on my centerlines & they would not touch them.  a small truck place did them, but they are out of business now. 

OK! Took them to Discount Tire where they used soap and it took 60psi to seat them. Had them in the cage and no one was standing close! Not something I would do at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also put a ratchet strap around the tire and synch it down. Dont crush the paddles/treads, enough to not let the tire expand (get taller), it will put more pressure on the bead towards the wheel and helps seat the bead.

You can also put a ratchet strap around the tire and synch it down. Dont crush the paddles/treads, enough to not let the tire expand (get taller), it will put more pressure on the bead towards the wheel and helps seat the bead.
The issue wasn't tire contacting the wheel. It was it just would not seat the bead. I had no other problem except lack of courage to inflate the tire that much.

Back