Mid engine/transmission question

arizonabuild

Reaction score
Hello, I tried searching but not sure I have the correct search phrase.  Kids and I bought a project mid engine sandrail with no engine.  We are concerned that a standard VW 1600 engine will spin the wrong way if mounted facing backwards.  I attached a picture of the existing transmission.  From the direction the picture was taken the transmission spins counter clockwise when the sandrail is moving forward.  Will a standard VW engine work or do we need something else?  Thanks for your help!

IMG-7108.jpg

Engine will spin the same way in any configuration.  The tranny is set up to be a mid engine, I think the only thing different is how the Ring and Pinion in the tranny is set up.  Slap a motor in that thing and go have fun.

The vw motor spins clockwise looking at the pulley from the back of the car in a rear engine vw. Therefore looking at your picture the back of the vw motor and pulley would be facing forward when bolted to the transaxle. 
You may have been in reverse when you moved the car forward which caused the shaft to spin counterclockwise, the wrong way. 
Try a different gear one of the 4 forward ones and move the car forward. 

The vw motor spins clockwise looking at the pulley from the back of the car in a rear engine vw. Therefore looking at your picture the back of the vw motor and pulley would be facing forward when bolted to the transaxle. 
You may have been in reverse when you moved the car forward which caused the shaft to spin counterclockwise, the wrong way. 
Try a different gear one of the 4 forward ones and move the car forward. 
Now I feel like a total rookie!  You were absolutely right, it was in reverse.  Putting it in 3rd gear it spins clockwise when looking at it from the view of the picture.  So hopefully we are good to go with a 1600 dropped in.  Next question, what else do we need to mate the engine to the transmission?

Thanks again for your replies!

Reactions: FOG
Now I feel like a total rookie!  You were absolutely right, it was in reverse.  Putting it in 3rd gear it spins clockwise when looking at it from the view of the picture.  So hopefully we are good to go with a 1600 dropped in.  Next question, what else do we need to mate the engine to the transmission?

Thanks again for your replies!
A new input shaft and throw out bearing for starters. They are almost as bad as that Funco that got parked in Arabian gulf some years back. (Yes, we did get that trans back for service afterwards, it was junk)

I would say to wire wheel the surface rust off of the input shaft. Replace the throw out bearing. My .02

Penetrating oil...1x a day for a week, then hit it (brush, emery, etc).

It will be fine.

Either way, a new input shaft will be needed whether you replace it now, or after it breaks. I prefer to not worry about a part breaking that strands me out in the desert. I would also rather spend the time and money while putting the car together now, rather than pulling the engine again after it breaks.

Back