Mendeola 4S-2D Oil Capacity? 4 Qts??

Drjekal

Reaction score
How many quarts of oil do you guys run in your Mendeola 2D's? I read 4 qts but after putting 4 quarts in I'm not overflowing from the fill hole on level ground.  Also how critical is the load adjustment screw that's double nutted on drivers side of transmission on a rear engine car? I accidently loosened it thinking that was the fill plug.

That adjustment nut is super important. It rides against the ring gear. 

Might want to talk to someone that knows transaxles and how to adjust it correctly. 

I would fill till it comes out the hole in the side and then another 1/4 quart. 

It will push out what it doesn’t need. 

"It will push out what it doesn't need" sounds messy! I checked the level before I drained it and it was a tad below the fill line. 

I had a feeling it was a critical adjustment, I think i have it back pretty close to where it was at. 

Thanks!

"It will push out what it doesn't need" sounds messy! I checked the level before I drained it and it was a tad below the fill line. 

I had a feeling it was a critical adjustment, I think i have it back pretty close to where it was at. 

Thanks!
Not messy when you have your over flow tube routed correctly.

"Pretty close".  That might be an expensive guess.  LOL

Good luck!!!!!!

The load bolt should be adjusted to just touch the back of the ring gear and then be held while tightening the locking nut.  I got that info from a transaxle rebuilder on my Albins.  Got the same info on my rear diff in my live axle car.  

I answered his DM, but I'll add response here for clarity. 

Brass load bolt: Turn in until it stops, back off 1/4 turn, then crank down on jam nut while holding the load bolt with a 9/16" wrench. You don't want the bolt running right on the ring gear, you want it just off the back of the ring gear to prevent it from coming off the pinion under hard loads.

2D/4E oil capacity: It will take 4.5 quarts until it flows out the fill plug (next to the passenger side CV). 4 quarts is perfectly fine. The extra .5 quart usually gets pushed out the breather anyways.

Thanks everyone for the help, I measured what came out of the gear box at exactly 4 quarts, Had Blue diff oil which I've never seen before, Orielly Auto parts wouldn't take it in their Recyling bin because it was blue.  I replaced it with Swepco 210, which is red. I guess when I change it next season should have a nice green colored oil.

Blue/green diff fluid is LAT, great product, use it a lot. Swepco is a good choice. Never heard of a recycling center not taking oil due to color, just for water, engine coolant or fuel in the oil. 

Back