Max fuel in Pickup bed?

JBL

Reaction score
Was wondering what the legal limit is to transport gas in back of the truck.  I've always carried four of five 5 gallon jugs when I go to Glamis for the toys and never an issue.  Im well aware of the laws of pouring gas using the older type funnel or hose (which is all I have).  But I've seen 20 and 35 gallon fuel transfer cans with wheels and hand crank fuel pumps on internet.  They are more tall then low and wide and will be easily seen by cops and thieves lol.  Can anyone chime in on the legal aspect of carrying fuel and its maximum amounts.  I've seen guys with 55 gallon drums in the past that camp at G for 2 weeks, but pretty sure they breaking a law.  Since its going in back of bed, Id find a way to make sure its secure by bolting down to bed.  Im open to options or ideas also.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stark-30-Gal-Portable-Gas-Caddy-Fuel-Transfer-Storage-Tank-Rolling-Gas-Can-with-Rotary-Pump-Auto-65113-H1/317533098?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-028_037_OUTDR_PW_ACC-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-028_037_OUTDR_PW_ACC-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000079956011-58700006728091443-92700060957828818&gclid=CjwKCAjw2vOLBhBPEiwAjEeK9nhDgqoSrSA6zsYknjE32ibQj6y1fs1Kb9LLr7CJJlXlX9vjQKdQuBoCkrkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#overlay

I have used these in the past.  14 gallons is about all I want to lift since technically you are supposed to fill them on the ground.  I have had mine for 8 years and it is still going strong.  I think I could fit 6 in my bed, when laid on their backs, so that is 84 gallons.  I used to pile firewood on top of mine as well.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325161_200325161?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Fuel Transfer %2B Lubrication > Fuel Caddies&utm_campaign=Flo n%2C go&utm_content=33631&gclid=CjwKCAjw2vOLBhBPEiwAjEeK9mvF3-b8tTgMog9eLRsK7MhUYyTJVlLzFZobxVPvIAacY5CeUZwAVRoCPfIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: JBL
I’m pretty sure it’s 100 gallons or 110. That’s why they only sell 100 gallon tanks for the pickup trucks.  

Reactions: JBL
The last time I checked, Fed. regs allowed transporting up to 120 gal per person within the US. I believe this is the CA law governing portable gas cans:

How many gallons of gas can you carry?

Transportation of fuel shall be accomplished by portable fuel cans with a maximum capacity of 5 gallons each, or cargo fuel tanks. All containers shall be properly labeled. Gasoline shall only be transported in Federal DOT approved Type I or Type II 5 gallon portable gas cans, with a limit of four (4) cans per vehicle

If you are using 55 drums, I believe you can transport two at a time, since that is not a portable gas can and two o them do not exceed 120 gal. 

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=34003.&lawCode=VEH

Vehicle Code - VEH

DIVISION 14.7. FLAMMABLE AND COMBUSTIBLE LIQUIDS [34000 - 34100]

( Heading of Division 14.7 amended by Stats. 1977, Ch. 825. )

ARTICLE 1. Administration [34000 - 34006]

( Article 1 added by Stats. 1967, Ch. 1106. )

As used in this division:

(a) “Cargo tank” means any tank having a volumetric capacity in excess of 120 gallons that is used for the transportation of flammable liquids or combustible liquids. “Cargo tank” includes pumps, meters, valves, fittings, piping, and other appurtenances attached to a tank vehicle and used in connection with the flammable liquids or combustible liquids being transported in the cargo tank except that the volumetric capacity refers to the capacity of the container portion of a cargo tank.

“Cargo tank” does not include any of the following:

(1) Any tank used only to carry fuel necessary for the operation of the vehicle or any equipment of the vehicle.

(2) Any tank containing not more than 120 gallons of residue. For purposes of this paragraph, “residue” means the liquid material remaining after a tank has been unloaded to the maximum extent practicable through the normal discharge opening.

(3) Any intermodal portable tank, meeting United States Department of Transportation IM 101 or IM 102 Specification transported as part of an interstate shipment when operated within a 25-mile radius of its ocean port or railroad terminal loading or unloading facility.

(4) Any tank meeting the requirements of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, with a volumetric capacity of less than 500 gallons used to transport flammable or combustible liquids, except a portable tank used to transport an inhalation hazard as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 32101.

(5) Any tank designated by the United States Department of Transportation as a “single trip container” or “nonreusable container,” marked and used as such, with a volumetric capacity of less than 500 gallons.

(6) Any vehicle that is registered in any other state and is used for refueling aircraft while operating in this state pursuant to a contract with this state or the United States for the conduct of fire suppression or other emergency-related activities.

(b) “Tank vehicle” means any truck, trailer, or semitrailer equipped with a cargo tank which is used for the transportation of flammable liquids or combustible liquids within this state.

(c) “Flammable liquids” and “combustible liquids” mean those liquids as defined by the regulations adopted by the commissioner pursuant to Section 2402.7.

(Amended by Stats. 1992, Ch. 1243, Sec. 93. Effective September 30, 1992.)

Never knew if it was legal but travel with 2 55 gallon drums tied to the front of my bed all the time. Never had an issue, never been stopped. 

Been playing the drum game for a few seasons.  Finally got the bed tank I've been wanting. I knew TJ had one a year ago he was thinking of selling. I just recently asked him about who built it etc and the timing was right for both of us.  Bought it and just installed it. 

65 gallons with tool storage and it fits below the bed rail.

PXL_20211031_214221150.jpg

PXL_20211031_214230620.jpg

PXL_20211031_214254051.jpg

Never knew if it was legal but travel with 2 55 gallon drums tied to the front of my bed all the time. Never had an issue, never been stopped. 
x2, always wondered what would happen if I got pulled over tho :dunno:  

I've also done a "fuel run" before and have had 5 drums of fuel in the bed coming back from brawley. Im 99.9% sure thats probably not legal but we werent stopped 🔥 

Finally added an electric pump to my fuel drum.     Should have done this years ago

20211031_153431.jpg

You were talking about the laws relating to a funnel and a hose....what laws?  Can you learn me on that?

Back