Master cylinders

Jtmoney714

Reaction score
Has anyone used the tilton master cylinders? I’m gonna buy a new Tilton pedal assembly for dual masters. Originally I was going to use the Jamar masters. But the tilton masters are about 60 bucks less. Anyone have any feedback?

Gonna invest that $60 you save? 

But seriously, Jamar was on both our Class 1 cars- 2" front hollows, 2.5" front hollows, outboard rear hubs, 13.5" six piston calipers and 1.25" wide rotors, pedals and masters. Been to the shop numerous times, very impressive. Plus Jamar is a direct bolt on to replace the old CNC stuff.

Tilton, ehh. 

Tilton assemblies are on a lot of pro race cars. Not sure how they do on a buggy, but they’re definitely not garbage. 

Jamar is good stuff, not quite ProAm but close.  Willwood is very decent also and half the price of Jamar.  

And yes I’d invest an extra $60 right now while the market is down a bit. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had major problems with the brake system on my BFD Super Sport (Bigger Revo). They never worked good for me. The bar flexed in middle. I would push the clutch pedal and the brake would engage. They locked up on me a couple of times.  

Installed the Tilton 600 series 3-Pedal Underfoot Assembly. Because I had no room for the regular master cylinders in the back. The Tilton is the only brake with master cylinders under floor. They were made for hotrods with close firewalls. And the car was already powder coated. The Tilton's work great but a little spendy, but what isn't on these sandrails lol.

First pic was the nightmare 

Second pic was the Fix. 

IMG_8314.jpeg

IMG_8379.jpeg

I guess I have used them all as sad as that is ... Wilwood on race cars, but the MC with a hasp over the lid is lame in a sand car. and Tilton with remote reservoirs are usually a PIA and more expensive in the end as well.  The old school NEAL style reservoirs from Tilton and Wilwood are just too small for sandcars for me to feel safe, but I have used them and continue to on Cobra Replicas.  I love the Tilton Pedals, but personally run the JAMAR MC's only on Sandcars with Wilwood pedals (you can use the CNC rubber pads on them - and Empi makes copies of the rubber pads  so you can always get them)-  I guess I use them  its because I think CNC design was better for the use in a Sandcar  and JAMAR is as close to CNC as you can get 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had major problems with the brake system on my BFD Super Sport (Bigger Revo). They never worked good for me. The bar flexed in middle. I would push the clutch pedal and the brake would engage. They locked up on me a couple of times.  

Installed the Tilton 600 series 3-Pedal Underfoot Assembly. Because I had no room for the regular master cylinders in the back. The Tilton is the only brake with master cylinders under floor. They were made for hotrods with close firewalls. And the car was already powder coated. The Tilton's work great but a little spendy, but what isn't on these sandrails lol.

First pic was the nightmare 

Second pic was the Fix. 

View attachment 28696

View attachment 28697
Any pictures of how these Tiltron pedals ended up? 

I used the same floor plate to cover all the lines. Just added some thick washers to clear the pedals and steel braided lines. And i used the same remote brake fluid reservoir.

IMG_1859.jpeg

IMG_8612.jpeg

I  forgot to mention in the pic you can see the 1/4" plate under the pedals. Which is bolted to floor tabs. The Tilton pedals are bolted to that.

Back