Maintenance advice for 2.5 Subi Turbo Dual Sport

JBL

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a dual sport with King shocks, 2.5 Turbo Subi with 5 Rib Bus transaxle that was rebuilt a few years ago.  Car was well maintained before being put away for over a year and sat outside under a patio and also covered.  Owner said he'd fire it up once in a while and go up and down the street but nothing wide open and long peroids of time.  He ran mostly Johnson Valley and never really had a problem and fixed what was needed.  Never took car to Glamis.  The car needs some cleaning but am going for a rip in the desert before money is exchanged to make sure its solid.

The only reason he is selling is he and his wife are now into rock crawling in their built Rubicon and also he has a new Yamaha 1000 SXS and wants to get his girl a small RZR.  So the dual sport has to go cause he cant keep all the toys in the toy hauler.

So before its maiden voyage to G, what do you guys recommend I go through?  I am new to Sand Cars but not new to Glamis with Turbo Wildcat, Quads and dirtbikes in the past.  Heading out to Glamis after Halloween weekend and want to make sure its ready.  Dont mind taking it to a Subaru mechanic to go over it if I cant  handle it myself.  Also not sure when he last went through his Shocks, but what Nitrogen PSI should I have in them?  I dont have any around and not sure if a local mechanic does either, but does Joe Fab or others around Vendors do Nitro filling?

Thanks and cant wait to get back to duning...missing all last season totally sucked! 

Change all fluids, put fresh gas in it, inspect the fuel lines, I would just replace anything rubber, check and if needed re pack cv joints. Be gentle on the bus box. Shocks should be at 150 psi. I believe Joe can charge them. Or if I'm out there, I can..

In addition to @Looney Duner:

Get some cheesecloth from the grocery store before draining the engine and gear oil, stretch it over a 2L bottle or milk carton cut in half (so the oil drains out of the opening) and check for man glitter in both.  Check the drain plug for large tears/rage-inducing particles. 

And yes: definitely replace all rubber with high pressure fuel injection line (not regular fuel line).  Ditch any plastic-bodied filters you find as well. Good all-metal high flow post-pump filter is from a 90s 300ZX Twin Turbo.  5/16" barb on both ends, so easily replaces most non-fitting filters out there.

Reactions: JBL
This is the pre and post fuel filters I use on my new to subie. 3299 is the pre filter. Also change the spark plugs. 

20211003_125339.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Drive it like the transmission is made of glass...very gently.

Back