Ls7 maintenance schedule?

Mellen_GTX

Reaction score
Ls7 440 with 4.0 whipple.    I've been doing my oil every 4-5 dune days.   When should I be doing plugs and wires?   

Best would be to ask the engine builder.  Don't forget the fuel filters.

I would just put new plugs in every year.  Wires unless they are burned or something I wouldn't mess with them unless they are stock. 

Are we talking about a motor that normally, in a car, has a 100,000 mile tune-up interval?

Talk to your builder, but I'd say years....But, we are talking about less than 20 bucks...You are running standard plugs right.  You should be....especially if you are going to change your plugs every year.

Are we talking about a motor that normally, in a car, has a 100,000 mile tune-up interval?

Talk to your builder, but I'd say years....But, we are talking about less than 20 bucks...You are running standard plugs right.  You should be....especially if you are going to change your plugs every year.
Ngk v power 8s

I bought a set of 8 NKG plugs for a client in Glamis for $90 at NAPA in Indio.

Definitely check with the builder... a buddy with a high end TT motor has to change plugs every other trip to keep it running in its prime.... but his motor is a race gas 2k HP motor. He also has to run some pricey plugs. 

my basic pump gas TT motor so far is clean air filters every trip, oil change every other trip... fuel filters once a season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to be running a copper plug.  Not platinum, iridium, or RPMatonia.    COPPER

BTW, don't be surprised if they tell you to run a Delco plug.  It goes back to the theory that a Toyota was made to run an NGK and AC Delco is linked to GM, and the motor was designed....it don't matter one I-O-TA, that a V-groove is a good plug.

I want to say that I found those plugs, for like, $2.50 at rockauto.  I can't find them now.  Plugs start at $4 at Summit    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ngk-4177  

The same plug is $1.56 at rockauto .  S&H is not included.

Being as nobody can, or has, really given you an answer....go to chevytalk.org     Look in the "Performance" section, or in the section for the vehicle that your motor came out of..

I don't know if a non-member can search. 

If you read something by "Ignition-Man" or "Grumpy Vette" , on that forum, do what they say.  I've been reading that forum long enough to see that they know their stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that still the Pfaff engine? I'm sure you've talked to them by now. I've had quite a few different engine combos from different builders and they all seem to prefer something different. I tend to just go with what they say since it was tuned and built with those parts in mind. Just my .01

Depending on boost, i would think you would run a TR-6 with around .028 gap to .032,  It really depends on the tune, Mefi is more of a Batch fire, so yes i would change every trip,  with the holley I change every trip, but could be extended, last trip i hit 320 on oil temp, so if i hit that temp i change the oil as soon as i get back, Oil breaks down under these harsh conditions, so it is the cheapest insurance to make the motor live, 

On wires, i hate the MSD, they gray boots break down easy, I have had great success with the Taylor 409,  this is a 10.5MM wire, works great,  

Ls7 440 with 4.0 whipple.    I've been doing my oil every 4-5 dune days.   When should I be doing plugs and wires?   
Plugs, maybe every time you start it or every couple of years,  there is not builder recommendation or schedule out there,  this is a Hi-performance motor, so common senses will play the best role, a lot can go on with a motor from trip to trip, on a boosted motor it would be best to pull a plug more often to make sure everything is looking good,   if you pull a plug and something looks off, then pull more plugs,  you will see any detonation issues from reading a plug, On a boosted motor i pull a plug from each side every trip, on Heavy Boosted motors like 21-23lbs i pull a plug every day.  

Back