Ls3 or 383 stroker?

JM PRO

Reaction score
Currently platform is a 5.7 LS1 with 241 heads and truck intake.

Build my current engine to 383 including upgrading, heads, intake and throttle body.

Or

Buy crate ls3

Appears pricing is within a few thousand of each option Who has had both engines and which did they like better?

Going in a gen. 4 Funco.

Thanks

Very Happy with my LS376 / 525HP crate motor. Redline stated it's around 600 HP at the crank.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Much more room to grow in the future with an ls3 and the stock ls3 heads likely outflow aftermarket cathedral port heads. I’d be interested to see what @J Alper has to say though.

I would be curious the $$$ difference for similar HP from both as well. 

Much more room to grow in the future with an ls3 and the stock ls3 heads likely outflow aftermarket cathedral port heads. I’d be interested to see what @J Alper has to say though.
Depends what you want to do with it and long term, 

We all get rapped around HP, but really it is the Torque that makes all these cars fast in the Dunes,  HP will be fast on the flats but the torque will pull the car up the hill, 

it is like towing with gas compared to Deisel,  the gas is fast on the flats and down the hill because more HP the faster it will rap out under small loads,  Torque will keep on pulling if the grade or the load increases, 

The 383 will out perform the ls3 in the dunes, on the drags like Logan mentioned it might outperform the 383 due to the heads, 

But they now make a LS7 Head That fits on a LS1 bore,   It uses a LS3 intake but ls7 dimensions,  if you had a ls3 that was the same specs as a ls7 the ls7 might flow the same on a bench but it will out perform due to Valve angle,  

383 with rectangular port heads should be a great combo,    

The one issue i see with purchasing a ls3 crate motor is that if you decide to stroke it, most of the parts might go away,  you will only use the block rockers and the heads,   the factory heads are OK nothing great compared to what is on the market for aftermarket heads,  The factory heads will get gutted, new valves and springs, so really not much used from the crate motor, 

The 416 would be a better choice if there was no budget, but building a 416, i think i would just purchase a block and start from the ground up,  383 are great motors.

Crate ls3 make around 1.3-1.4 per cubic inch of HP, and 1.2 per cube of torque. 

383 Makes around 1.5-1.7 depending on stock heads or full aftermarket heads 

416 will do the same 1.5-1.7     

Hope this is enough data to help make your goals on HP vs TQ.     

At the end of the day our most popular is the 440 because it uses a 5.3 block and then sent to Mast Motorsports to have the block sleeved to a LS-7 style block,  doing this it will be almost the same price as a new LS3 block.   

Remember it is just math, you will see talk of motor making crazy HP on loose dynos,  you tell me what you want the dyno to read,  and you can fudge the number by saying the drum weighs X,       Not saying any names because both tuners are awesome tuners but same car same motor,  One dyno made 620 at the wheels the other made 510 at the wheels, nothing changed.  

the most you will get from a LS3 crate motor is 564 HP, change the motor was rated at 500hp then they upgrade the cam to get around 550-560,  if you get more than that without changing the heads, then you can sell the motor to nascar or F1 for a couple hundred thousand dollars. 

The proven number across the US for a Crate LS3 is 1.3-1.4 per cube.    

We put a turnkey 525 ls3 in our last gen 4 and it was perfect for that car. Wheelied all throttle in second gear. It’s nice having a non oil burning easy starting motor. I highly recommend that route.

I’m a big fan of the CBM 415ci stroker but have been in those 383 deals … kinda hard to tell the difference…

Sometimes I think a V8 (stroker)… is a V8 (sroker).. they are just... well.. ANGRY!

abc

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to consider is that you can sell your current ls1 if you do decide to go the ls3 route to recoup some of your investment. Either option will be an upgrade and be a ton of fun! 

Let's make it more interesting:

Last season I plopped an LSA supercharger on a stock LS1 (truck intake 853 heads). Ran me about $8000 all in including dyno.

Results.... Baseline 297HP @ 6200rpm. Supercharged 11psi. 483hp @ 6500rpm

Boost is where it’s at. 
Careful with boost on a stock LS1 bottom end. 
2 buddies lost there motors when they did that with a LSA. 

I feel stroking a motor is the best bang for the buck,  Boost will always give the most power, but someone has to be prepared for the fabrication also, it will take mounting a cooler, pump, and plumbing, throttle cable, and possible belt line modification. 

Stroking a motor can be around 4k for new crank, rods, pistons, bearings, pump, chain, and machine work, 

This thread couldn’t come at a better time.  I have the base ls3 in my cart and a cam for it already on order.  No one ever wants to admit to price but I’m thinking motor, top to bottom complete with accessories and a Holley computer I should be under 10k. Not bad imo for 564hp. But it would be a waste if I want more in the future and end up doing a custom build. Anyone care to share what they’ve spent doing a ground up build in the 5-700hp range. 

I should add, I like the simplicity of pump gas. I just want to change oil, grease my cvs and go dune!

This thread couldn’t come at a better time.  I have the base ls3 in my cart and a cam for it already on order.  No one ever wants to admit to price but I’m thinking motor, top to bottom complete with accessories and a Holley computer I should be under 10k. Not bad imo for 564hp. But it would be a waste if I want more in the future and end up doing a custom build. Anyone care to share what they’ve spent doing a ground up build in the 5-700hp range. 

I should add, I like the simplicity of pump gas. I just want to change oil, grease my cvs and go dune!
14k for parts and had my buddy build it. Made 565 on a hub dyno through an s4. 

Building an engine from zero for a sand car is much like building a sand car from zero.  With the car, buy all the transmission you can afford.  With the engine, build the best bottom end you can.

If you have a solid rotating assy. you can build from there.  Bigger cams, higher CR, boost, etc..       

Back