LS3 Oil Cooler?

wesinls

Reaction score
I dropped my car off at Alumicraft on Friday to have them start on the LS3 install - one of the things they are recommending is an oil cooler - I of course trust them and am moving forward with it, but curious of what others have done...pics would be nice - they are not yet sure where it's going to be placed yet.

image.png

My Alumicraft has an in tank cooler. It is integral to the radiator and is mounted in the passenger side end tank.

be picky on the oil cooler, LS flows a lot of oil, some oil coolers can starve the motor, 

I chased for two years bearing problems, oil pressure would be fine, then sustained high RPM would wipe out the bearings,  THIS WAS TOTALY MY FAULT i tried to make a oil cooler out of a inner cooler core to get a custom size,  and it was cavitating the motor, 

I would go with a Name Brand, 

Below are the two i used, with no issues, 

Derale Cooling Products 13870 Derale Hyper-Cool Extreme Remote Fluid Coolers with Fan | Summit Racing

Amazon.com: Derale 15840 Hyper Dual-Cool Remote Cooler : Automotive

Love the CBR coolers 

Oil Coolers – CBR- Performance

My Alumicraft has an in tank cooler. It is integral to the radiator and is mounted in the passenger side end tank.
I would avoid doing this.  The point to an oil cooler is to remove heat from the engine.  Removing it from the oil  and add it to the coolant isn't removing it from the engine.

I would avoid doing this.  The point to an oil cooler is to remove heat from the engine.  Removing it from the oil  and add it to the coolant isn't removing it from the engine.
A properly sized radiator and fans will remove the additional heat. 

I did a CBR oil cooler with pusher fans.

I put it under my rear seat and drilled multiple 1" holes in the floor.

With cooler and line length I ran, added 1.5 quarts more of oil and dropped temps by 35 degrees.

I don't see over 270 Engine oil temps now.

IMG_4381.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

Back