LS1 5 seater cam choice ?

Dune savage

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a pretty much stock LS1 in my car and am curious what route you would go on cam selection and why? The car is a older 5 seater, I would take a wild guess that the weight is around 2800lbs. Just trying to wake it up a little bit. While doing the cam I plan on intake manifold throttle body and injectors and of coarse a new tune when components are installed.

Cheers!

I have a used CT-525 cam, that would be a good choice,  

you will need to be careful about the cam selection because the pistons are flat with no valve pockets, so the lift and valve timing mater, 

Where do you want the cam to come in at, and what idle do you want, 

What RPM do you like to drive at?

Intake manifold with stock LS1 heads would be Trailblazer SS or Fast, depending on $ and clearance. 

you will need to be careful about the cam selection because the pistons are flat with no valve pockets, so the lift and valve timing mater, 

I'm guessing 2500-6000 or really anywhere in between. I'm not looking to be the fastest guy on the sand just want to make her a little more rowdy. Tuner believes it may have a small cam, but I wont know what it is till I pull it. As for Idle as long as its not falling on its face and needing to be restarted every time I slow down I'm not too worried about idle RPMs.  Would that 525 cam need a new valve spring kit? not opposed to swapping them either.

What RPM do you like to drive at?

Intake manifold with stock LS1 heads would be Trailblazer SS or Fast, depending on $ and clearance. 
For the most part im in lower RPMs in 3rd while dunning. occasionally needed to drop in 2 second to get through some steep or soft situations. 

The BTR stage 3 cam did not get along with the stock LS2 in my TBSS...

To maximize the motor power, no shelfed cam will work great from a street car company, any cam that makes HP on the street will fall flat on the dirt, Pennywise 402 pulls harder in the dunes than most 425's because the cam is made for the full package, 

A lot of stuff works on the street, the dirt will get wheel shock from the gear box, so it needs to work correctly, there really isn't cams that works with names like stage-1 stage-2 with 660lift springs, 

I do not really know what that means, what i do know is depending on the gear and the tire size, the car weight, and the style of heads will determine, the advancement in the grind, 

Sandcars work good with torque that roll into HP, Torque is determined by ground advancement and intake centerline,  hp is determined by duration and lift, and lobe ramp angle, 

Now with that being said, the spring will make or break a weekend,  there is no such thing as .660 lift spring,   it really depends on - Seat pressure, and over the nose Lbs, throwing a lot of spring on a lifter that will not take it, will work, but not for long, 

A least what is the install height for starters, then we can think about lobe lift and that will lead into a proper spring, 

What lifters are in the motor?

Back