LS Tuning in SoCal

DarkSide

Reaction score
As I near completion of my turbo LS build, I have started my search for a tuner. So far, I have reached out to Dunehoon, Dardantune, Westech, and Danzio. 

My car has the FAST XFI ECU already and changing that out for the Holley or something else is not currently in my budget, so I need to find someone who will work with what I have.

Danzio is a no go on the FAST, Westech has been very responsive and said they will be glad to tune my car. Dunehoon responded over IG and said he will tune it, but he's only worked on a few fast ecu since they are outdated. No word back from Dardan yet. 

Anyone here have a good tuner that I haven't mentioned who may work with the fast? Any feedback on the guys listed? I'm leaning towards Westech since they are well known in the hot rod industry and are close to my work. Only concern there is $1,500 for the session and hoping that I have everything right when I get there. 

westech is probably the best shot.

Depending on what you are after they all offer something a little different I have used 

• Redline 
  • CBM
  • Westtech
  • C&G
  • Danzio 
  • Dunehoon

Pretty sure Chan does not work on Fast,   They just started with holley about a year ago, and they did a lot of AEM and specialize in Motec,  Westech for me was a great experience no issues,  Lance has always been there for me but lances schedule can be hectic he is a one man operation.  but lance is also a computer wiz at anything with a keyboard,  Westech has a big staff and a large facility. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Westech did a tune on mine when I switched from 110 to E85, it has a Haltech and most people wouldn't touch it, everybody wanted me to switch to Holley. They did a good job, I haven't had to change anything on it.

Lance got back to me and said he can tune it as well. 

So far I have Lance (Dunehoon) and Westech who have given me the thumbs up. Both seem to be very helpful and reputable. 

I know a few board members here who said they had negative experiences with Lance. Do some research if you go with him.

I had Dunehoon tune my car after I got it together for a “break in” session. New motor new trans. Was a good experience. The following season I had him do a check up on it and run it on the dyno again. Make a day out of it and go south. BTW my car has a fast ecm and throttle body. Outdated? Maybe. More street rod style? Probably. But at the time the Fast setup was in my budget.

🤘

IMO all the modern EFI systems are very similar, but many tuners have their preference and sweet spot. Many have enough business they don't want to waste a lot of time on systems they are not really familiar with, thats why I just do Holley when I do tuning.  It's fast for me and I know the in's and outs so results are consistent and stress-less.

While many people I know have been very satisfied with Dardan and he seems to "get it" I am not sure how much he knows that ECM, but he doies lots opf differebt sustems.

Dunehoon I know will take the time to get it done - he seems to have the patience and is not afraid to take the time, and while some people find the time frame annoying  - he seems a fit if patience is needed on a system that most are not familiar with. There is no doubt that he understands how the systems work.

Westech has also done a number of different systems  - they are versatile but IMO not as Off road as I would like.

If it was Holley or Motec I might have a different suggestion 

Also a Turbo car can be complex to do right, especially as it depends on how you do boost control, the trim of the turbo and how the engine is built for the turbo, cam, heads, etc. Getting a good smooth running wide powerband tune can be difficult  - you have to do a number of different RPM and load Dyno changes and not just a few Full power pulls  - that takes time and  costs $$

Booked my appointment at Westech. Excited to see what this engine will do. Not going to lie though, I'm a bit nervous about making sure I did everything right... 

IMG_6941.JPG

Depending on what you are after they all offer something a little different I have used 

• Redline 
  • CBM
  • Westtech
  • C&G
  • Danzio 
  • Dunehoon

Pretty sure Chan does not work on Fast,   They just started with holley about a year ago, and they did a lot of AEM and specialize in Motec,  Westech for me was a great experience no issues,  Lance has always been there for me but lances schedule can be hectic he is a one man operation.  but lance is also a computer wiz at anything with a keyboard,  Westech has a big staff and a large facility. 
Redline can tune FAST. Delivered and picked up a few Racer's that were originally Danzio engine builds.

IMO all the modern EFI systems are very similar, but many tuners have their preference and sweet spot. Many have enough business they don't want to waste a lot of time on systems they are not really familiar with, thats why I just do Holley when I do tuning.  It's fast for me and I know the in's and outs so results are consistent and stress-less.

While many people I know have been very satisfied with Dardan and he seems to "get it" I am not sure how much he knows that ECM, but he doies lots opf differebt sustems.

Dunehoon I know will take the time to get it done - he seems to have the patience and is not afraid to take the time, and while some people find the time frame annoying  - he seems a fit if patience is needed on a system that most are not familiar with. There is no doubt that he understands how the systems work.

Westech has also done a number of different systems  - they are versatile but IMO not as Off road as I would like.

If it was Holley or Motec I might have a different suggestion 

Also a Turbo car can be complex to do right, especially as it depends on how you do boost control, the trim of the turbo and how the engine is built for the turbo, cam, heads, etc. Getting a good smooth running wide powerband tune can be difficult  - you have to do a number of different RPM and load Dyno changes and not just a few Full power pulls  - that takes time and  costs $$
Turbo tune needs a way to load the engine and hold it there (Dynapack) to get a conservative idea on where boost kicks in and at what throttle openings. Light cruise on a roller won’t simulate a long uphill run at heavy, but not full, throttle under boost. 

I have an AEM infinity and Redline LS engine harness with bosch 02 sensor sitting on the shelf I will sell very cheap! 

Back