LS Starter Shims?

wesinls

Reaction score
2 trips back my car started what I describe as a loud ting noise right after the engine starts - as if the starter doesn't fully disengage after the engine starts.  I took off the starter and the bendix seems to move freely - but I did notice the wear on the picture below...wondering if putting a 16th or 32nd shim on the studs is worth a shot - and also if anyone else has had this issue? Flywheel could be loose I suppose :(, but it would seem it would be a lot more violent if so.

liOEEt2C7IVVaxDR_6DXrhJNwCn52V1iub6ky62zuiQja04HYEA7nN0BocL1kpt7xtgF3M7JIXadp0LElZUR8VyaBL_MLMbBDmmBdCPjEqtMgNqE2sRitO-0_X5JsULZuDP6YAB-zk084RUZaxYCSZ2vLb6D7sKNuDbA28CStOu1so_iv0xH5dllekT5WU5IN1JFT5i2NL20YSTdbCqLGeaoenOH-G4iBWFSJ0NKnhpXFIvLod4L51OuMlIFf3k8odl9PGTUQac1xFqqazFrQIB7ZjLbDuo-KgS9ttKe15f4ohAzuH_NnL3BDUODCn3hD3pRh-0xekCleI44whglb6SoY8pDwfvvqKgzDYDTd_J0gJtyKWtLmq_oKGWCS2oENtxAbT5gwq2U15MGJfdIWXPHdjPR-WgE_0T6o8XU-rYCKKn3ngloAWZhGEqei0WM4Wl3_phT--1mHIqgiJhiuzlaD5gMK6cN1HwdZXrx1NncNklrQ2tFov3J-k1O88bPgDdLLkKV-tPJ4pEYdRJ-Pb4Qrgsm2BiwEJWuuPvV5vovuTykvlGvmjkvH2MqljQg54Ixfcf3Jl0pgD4_DpZZZmZ3TxxW_TTIrrsJgYgZ19J7w6QKkPr-K_ogZM0yAYaMQi1cJnIPmEumr1O-beUo5nXYGmbswu_6UDCSi4tQft5L1Ekf_MMhcT-NAeyV9Z_ra4TMpmR-HkMsez5r2If9UWgS-gyeWJpnsWrwUSpgubmO_a4B0MCZXze3a4qBDde1qeojIoHcddu7GH1rRo2NY92albU3htebok6eoSxH5A3J0aJzBa0nzQmyJCoYnqVOU1su2WROzbDaZ-ZQB1BEBzBam5mrjAraGwenQZaQYoz57n6aLbMEn-L_mFYPAUD7Q3I7UqXL5l8jqxdHSGXH4AtDULAGQRn9OROLwCvkN6kJxgiJNd0L_NOKDpfFuVV0BCiKVw5OjiG6XUBrJLvK=w823-h617-no

Check your ring gear backlash and spacing from the end of the starter gear to the flywheel. Your starter manufacturer should be able to tell you the specs. If your ring gear backlash is too small it will cause the gears to hang up. Shimming the starter will correct this.

If the starter bendix doesn't fully retract it's broken. The bendix gear should be spring loaded in the retracted position until the starter motor spins it. 

I can't see ur picture...I have no idea....but on a 70s-80s chevy,..., you get a coat hanger and you remove the dust cover, then cut the wire, make a "Ell" w.a 1" leg on it take the wire, and hook the Bendix and pull it all the way out to engage-memt (a new word)...The distance between the tip of the gear, on the teeth on the starter's gear and the bottom of the cog (the flat/bottom space between the teeth on the ring.gear) should be about the thickness of the wire (IF, IF, IF, memory is correct) and as mentioned, it should be spring.loaded in the un.meshed position.

Also, the above should be sorta difficult to do....it.shouldnt.be free/loose, but spring.loaded in.  If memory is correct....you shouldn't have enough strength to pull it out w.a straight wire, but if you are using a Z, bent wire, it will be no problem

Shims....I sorta doubt that is ur problem.  To tighten it up, you shim.the outside, and the inside loosens it up (again, I dont see how that coulda changed). 

It should take you about 2 minutes to pull the starter and test it.  You can use jumper cables.   Hook it up and watch it spin.

I ended up calling Hi Torque (who manufactured the starter I have) - and they convinced me to order the heavy-duty version of the starter I have - IMI-101N versus the INI-101 that I currently have...it was that, or rebuild my current for ~$80 plus shipping - but against their recommendation. The starter UI have is prob 20 years old, upgrade seems like a good idea.

Back