Lovely Cali Smog with Vaccum Leak!

Chingon619

Reaction score
Still passed! 😅

I was sweating bullets. Damn commie state. So, I chose a new spot near me because the usual has asked me 2 other times to bring it at 7am, and well that got old fast. I played musical chairs with all my crap to pull the MoHo out and figured screw it, I'm calling around to see who can take me in right now. Not waking up early on a Saturday morning. Sure nuff, new shop down the opposite way of the other shop said "sure, bring it in!" Cool! 

So I make my way down there and he's full on gestappo inspector like some FBI agent and can't even find the VIN on my rig. Says "pull the cover off" the engine cover? I've never even had it off? Other guys don't pull that crap. He said "ofcourse! Visual inspection" ok, no worries right? Wrong! I pull the cover and as he fired up the engine, I can hear it. "Hisssssssssssssss" and I go "oh, gawd!" Gonna fail, I hear it already. I kept my cool, dude did his thing, my armpits were soaking wet. He ran his bright asssss LED flashlight all over, and as soon as he walked out, I immediately looked and BAM! RIGHT THERE!! IN MY FACE!! I was hoping no more visual please! Was counting on his age and Itty bitty eyes to miss it. He looked again!! Craaaappp!!!! Nothing. 20min later, he's done and says "you're good!" I asked "Passed?" And ayep!! 

Now, what in the hell is this!! Where does it go? What hooks up here? Is it tuned this way? No check engine obviously. It does have a Banks Power something something, at least that's what the sticker on the front of my rig says. Check it out! Doesn't look like anything has ever been there before. What should I do? HELP!! 

20221104_134629.jpg

20221104_134641.jpg

Oh, 2005 Workhorse W22 chassis w/8.1L vortec. Too lazy to edit sorry.

it was probably a vacuum cap or perhaps vacuum to the inside vent controls,  why would it pass?  because on a speed density system air can get into the intake anyway it can and would not even be noticed.  No miss or any check engine light other than a high idle and the idle speed control valve operating at the end of its ranges (trying to lower the idle)

the only thing you need to consider is the amount of unfiltered dust and sand entering that port for who knows how long!

it was probably a vacuum cap or perhaps vacuum to the inside vent controls,  why would it pass?  because on a speed density system air can get into the intake anyway it can and would not even be noticed.  No miss or any check engine light other than a high idle and the idle speed control valve operating at the end of its ranges (trying to lower the idle)

the only thing you need to consider is the amount of unfiltered dust and sand entering that port for who knows how long!
Ohhh crrapp!! Never even thought about that! LOL I've bombed the hell out of my rig in ol' momma G! I did find a cool video of a dude pointing out every sensor on the 8.1L and I just watched in anticipation for him to pan over this area. Sure enough, it's capped! 

Screenshot_20221104-152345_YouTube.jpg

Back