Looking for late model Super C feedback

ElCaminoManT

Reaction score
Friend of mine is looking to upgrade from his current Coachman class C. He's looked at and driven different class A gassers and pushers and is leaning heavily to a super C for his situation. Specifically units that are on the Freightliner chassis with air ride, no Kodiak/F550/Ram5500 based units. Looking around at different options, the most apparent in his used price range seem to be Jayco Seneca, Renegade Valencia, Thor Pasadena, Nexus Ghost, Dynamax Force. Any of y'all have feedback to offer on these units? How does the 360hp 6.7 Cummins do with these weights? Obviously an ISL would be more ideal but that seems to put the price into the next level. Thor's reputation has us kind of steering away from the Seneca and Pasadena unless the right deal was to pop up. The Renegade Valencia seems to check all the boxes but pickins for used units are pretty slim on those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of things to consider here. How much will he tow? I had the Kodiak C5500 chassis previously and it wasn't all that bad really. Now I have a Renegade Verona which is night and day compared to the my previous Kodiak. I'm bias toward Renegade but I think if you really research you will find the quality of the Renegade Valencia (if more in his budget compared to a Verona) to be superior to many of the others you noted. Take a close look and compare the overhang of the RV past the rear axle. Many of the units you listed have excessive overhang which makes them get light in the front end with a heavy trailer. You also get lots of tailswing with more overhang. Tank capacities will also vary a bunch. All depends what is important to your friend. 

Thanks, we saw that one and is a nice rig. I know this may come off as extra picky but having to crane your neck to be able to watch the TV from the couch is a big negative in a rig for him. His Coachman is that way and he absolutely hates it. Also king bed a must.

Lots of things to consider here. How much will he tow? I had the Kodiak C5500 chassis previously and it wasn't all that bad really. Now I have a Renegade Verona which is night and day compared to the my previous Kodiak. I'm bias toward Renegade but I think if you really research you will find the quality of the Renegade Valencia (if more in his budget compared to a Verona) to be superior to many of the others you noted. Take a close look and compare the overhang of the RV past the rear axle. Many of the units you listed have excessive overhang which makes them get light in the front end with a heavy trailer. You also get lots of tailswing with more overhang. Tank capacities will also vary a bunch. All depends what is important to your friend. 
I think the ability to tow 10k in the future without having to worry about it is the thought. He currently flat tows a ZR2 Colorado with a Freelander 26DS and it likes to have it's way with that rig. I know the 21+ Senecas are rated for 12k, pre 21 is 9k. The Valencia even in 18 shows 15k towing cap between the GVWR and GCWR. Also the tanks in the Valencia are waaaaaay better than the Seneca he's looked at (37RB). 72fresh/51gray/33black for the Seneca, 150/75/75 for the Valencia

I had a Kodiak C before my DP and it was awful. He spent some time riding with me in that thing and said NO WAY! to those. The ride quality is just awful with the steel suspension and really crappy weight balance (in my case 213" WB on a 35' rig :eek: ). Those things were also notorious for having way more hitch rating than the chassis allowed (10k hitch but tow cap was 6,500). We've been looking at the units that give the longest wheelbase possible on the S2RV chassis, most seem to be 279" which is actually longer than my 40' DP

Last edited by a moderator:
If he is looking at a 21+ Seneca I would look for a year or two older in a Verona. The M2-106 chassis and 8.9L is a whole lot more rig than the S2RV chassis. And you get a true 20k tow capacity. But again, I'm bias toward Renegade and especially bias toward a Verona :)

Stay away from the Nexus Ghost on the international chassis. Depending on the year, I believe Thor used an imitation leather on the interior that will start to flake off. Can't beat a Renegade. For the best ride, make sure it is air ride on the rear. Racingjunk is the place to look.

I have a good friend that had the Nexus Ghost..........total POS!  To be fair, this is a sample size of 1 and could have been a lemon but I don't think so.  Workmanship was horrible - gaps in the walls, doors didn't fit correctly, fridge would tip while traveling / wasn't secured well or properly, wiring was a joke, layout was poorly set up.  Almost nothing on the motty worked properly for long.  I did a few trips with him towing my trailer and Funco - towed great - power and stability were fabulous - that's the only thing good I have to say about it.  Which, I guess, are pretty good features but if I could buy a new one at half price - I wouldn't do it.  

If he is looking at a 21+ Seneca I would look for a year or two older in a Verona. The M2-106 chassis and 8.9L is a whole lot more rig than the S2RV chassis. And you get a true 20k tow capacity. But again, I'm bias toward Renegade and especially bias toward a Verona :)
His budget puts him in the ‘18-21 Valencia range. The Verona on the M2 would be the hotness for sure.

Stay away from the Nexus Ghost on the international chassis. Depending on the year, I believe Thor used an imitation leather on the interior that will start to flake off. Can't beat a Renegade. For the best ride, make sure it is air ride on the rear. Racingjunk is the place to look.
Rear air ride is mandatory.

I have a good friend that had the Nexus Ghost..........total POS!  To be fair, this is a sample size of 1 and could have been a lemon but I don't think so.  Workmanship was horrible - gaps in the walls, doors didn't fit correctly, fridge would tip while traveling / wasn't secured well or properly, wiring was a joke, layout was poorly set up.  Almost nothing on the motty worked properly for long.  I did a few trips with him towing my trailer and Funco - towed great - power and stability were fabulous - that's the only thing good I have to say about it.  Which, I guess, are pretty good features but if I could buy a new one at half price - I wouldn't do it.  
👍🏻

Back