Looking for JK Rubicon axles

realtreeHD

Reaction score
Ok jeep guys.  Someone has to have a line on a set of factory JK rubicon axles. Let me know if you have any leads.   

Looking for 2009-2018 front and rear Dana 44 with 4.10 and e lockers

Ok jeep guys.  Someone has to have a line on a set of factory JK rubicon axles. Let me know if you have any leads.   

Looking for 2009-2018 front and rear Dana 44 with 4.10 and e lockers
They're getting harder to find and more expensive. I was able to find a set of JK Recon axles which have thicker axle tunes, brackets and beefier Cs. I hunted Craigslist for a while before I found them. 

-TJ

I'm finding the same thing.  Might almost be easier to get JL axles. Plus I know the JL would be stronger.  Just thinking the JK would be cheaper and plenty strong for my application 

I'm finding the same thing.  Might almost be easier to get JL axles. Plus I know the JL would be stronger.  Just thinking the JK would be cheaper and plenty strong for my application 
What are they going in? JL axles are wider, if that matters one way or the other to you. Also, JL front axles have Front Axle Disconnect (FAD) that nobody really wants. It's easy enough to delete but just another thing to consider. One other thing to keep in mind is that not all JK Rubicon axles are 4.10s. Later automatic JK Rubicons had 3.73s unless specifically optioned up to 4.10. My JK Rubicon Recon axles were actually 3.73 axles. I geared to 4.88 anyway, but it is something to consider when weighing costs vs. an aftermarket axle. 

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I just inherited a 1996 xj that's in pretty good shape.  Has almost 400k miles on it though.  Lol.  I'd like to make a decent trail rig out of it.  Hoping that JK axles would give me a nice upgrade while also giving me 4.10s and lockers in one shot. 

I just inherited a 1996 xj that's in pretty good shape.  Has almost 400k miles on it though.  Lol.  I'd like to make a decent trail rig out of it.  Hoping that JK axles would give me a nice upgrade while also giving me 4.10s and lockers in one shot. 
You want TJ Rubicon axles, not JK. Well, you want a TJ front axle, it's directly bolt-in (XJ/TJ/ZJ are the same front suspension, steering and bolt pattern). None of the JK axle brackets will be right. In the rear the XJ is obviously leaf and an Explorer 8.8 is basically your closest bolt-in plus disc brakes and you can find them with 4.10s and a LSD. IIRC the XJ/ZJ/TJ stuff is 60-5/8" WMS to WMS, JK is 65.5". Also XJ bolt pattern is 5x4.5", JK is 5x5". The JL axles you mentioned before are even further off.

You're basically not going to find a good TJR axle at this point, so aftermarket is your best bet. That said, what are you trying to do with the thing? A D30 will do a lot. 

-TJ

You could buy mine and swap everything over.  LOL

I have some JK Rubicon axles. 

$38,000 and they come with the rest of the Jeep. 

FB6E0348-BDC3-49E7-8B2F-EA3BC42DC73A.jpeg

@tjZ06 I'm not worried about the width or bolt pattern change.  Jk axles mean that a lot of parts will be easier to find. Including used wheels and tires. Also the JK rubicon axles are quite a step up from TJ axles

Barnes4wd sells a truss kit for the front jk 44 that put all the steering mounts and springs in the right location for a xj. The rear axles will just need spring perches welded on 

Tons are cheaper and better, and easier to find

get a 300$ explorer 8.8 with disk brake. Stronger that d44 and lots of money left over for a locker. What size tires are you planning on? Anything 33 and under the 8.25 and 30 will be fine

You want TJ Rubicon axles, not JK. Well, you want a TJ front axle, it's directly bolt-in (XJ/TJ/ZJ are the same front suspension, steering and bolt pattern). None of the JK axle brackets will be right. In the rear the XJ is obviously leaf and an Explorer 8.8 is basically your closest bolt-in plus disc brakes and you can find them with 4.10s and a LSD. IIRC the XJ/ZJ/TJ stuff is 60-5/8" WMS to WMS, JK is 65.5". Also XJ bolt pattern is 5x4.5", JK is 5x5". The JL axles you mentioned before are even further off.

You're basically not going to find a good TJR axle at this point, so aftermarket is your best bet. That said, what are you trying to do with the thing? A D30 will do a lot. 

-TJ
Listen to this advice. You are about to waste alot of money on marginally better axles.

Theres a reason every serious wheeler with a rubicon ditches the stock axles and goes tons or aftermarket

Listen to this advice. You are about to waste alot of money on marginally better axles.

Theres a reason every serious wheeler with a rubicon ditches the stock axles and goes tons or aftermarket
Yes that's true. Mostly because a stock JK is over 4,500lbs and most JK owners load them down with chit and exceed 5,500 or 6,000lbs plus.  That much weight and a 37inch tire makes the axles a weak point. Weak knuckles and weak axle tubes are the main concern.  

The XJ is 3,100lbs in stock form, add frame stiffeners and bumpers and you're about 3,500lbs.  About 2,000 lbs lighter than a JK.  Tons seems excessive IMO.   

I was hoping I could find take off JK axles for this exact reason but it seems they are far and few. In my head it would be an easy swap. Truss kit and c gussets and everything would match with readily available parts. 

My xj is on a lsd 8.8. Swap was really easy. I used the iron rock truss/swap kit, the width diff isnt noticable. I redid the brakes with a kit from east coast gear and supply. Up front i got my friends old axle out of his zj its a lp d30 w/chromolly axles. i installed jcr truss and knuckle kit, 1 ton currie steering. 

May i suggest the iron rock 3 link kit too, and front to rear frame reinforments. All was really easy to do. I opted against the 4 link rear conversion because i’d like do coil overs if im gonna go that much change

Brakes

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-4985621-ford-8-8-full-disc-brake-kit.html

Pinion adapter

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-4980701-ford-8-8-1310-adapter-flange.html

Yes that's true. Mostly because a stock JK is over 4,500lbs and most JK owners load them down with chit and exceed 5,500 or 6,000lbs plus.  That much weight and a 37inch tire makes the axles a weak point. Weak c gussets and weak axle tubes are the main concern.  

The XJ is 3,100lbs in stock form, add frame stiffeners and bumpers and you're about 3,500lbs.  About 2,000 lbs lighter than a JK.  Tons seems excessive IMO.   

I was hoping I could find take off JK axles for this exact reason but it seems they are far and few. In my head it would be an easy swap. Truss kit and c gussets and everything would match with readily available parts. 
Maybe get the front axle but 8.8 is bigger stronger and MUCH CHEAPER and available everywhere today

truss/swap

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xj-ford-88-axle-swap-kit-w-truss.html

With 400k on a CHRYSLER product, all I can say is SELL,SELL, SELL...and buy one that is already done. You will save $$$$$ in the long run.

Lots of good advice in this thread.  Back when a set of JK Rubicon axles might be $1500 I could see where you're coming from.  But you'll pay $3500-4500 for a pair if you find 'em now, plus the trusses, bracketry and labor (if you don't do it yourself) to get 'em in.  Not to mention the new wheels/tires.  Like most of the other folks commenting, I think you'd be better off just doing a 8.8 and honestly if you're only going to 35"s and don't like to bounce it on the throttle just beef the D30 a bit.  Or, do the 8.8 and just go with an aftermarket front housing D44. 

-TJ

Back