Looking for a shop to work on my sons 50 quad

punkur67

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a shop to take my sons quad in to have it worked on. I bought him a Suzuki Z50 quad  and it has not run right since i got it. I went through all the standard stuff like fresh fuel, spark plug, checked the valves, replaced the Chinese carb with a factory carb and it is still not right. It barely revs up enough to move and pops and sputters. 

Its not my nature to let other people work on my stuff but I am in the process of moving and just dont have time to mess with it anymore before the desert season.

Has it ever run right ? Those used to come with a restrictor “washer” in the exhaust pipe right where it connects to the head. Bike will barely get out of its own way when that’s in there.

Has it ever run right ? Those used to come with a restrictor “washer” in the exhaust pipe right where it connects to the head. Bike will barely get out of its own way when that’s in there.
I bought it used recently and it never ran right. I assumed the carb was just gummed up when I bought it. I can see if that restrictor is in there

Buy yourself a new carb from Suzuki, and be done with it.  trust me been there done that a couple times around. If you want to have it done, my guy is in fallbrook. not too far from you

Buy yourself a new carb from Suzuki, and be done with it.  trust me been there done that a couple times around. If you want to have it done, my guy is in fallbrook. not too far from you
I bought a brand new Suzuki carb from Motoworld and it did not do the trick

I called CT Racing about my sons YFZ450 and they said they aren't taking any new clients but gave me the name of a guy that used to work there Bryan with Alpha 1 Motorsports.  I contacted him last year and got on his 'list'.  He was great and text me when he had an opening and we took the quad to his shop in Yorba Linda.  He got the quad dialed in and the price was really good.  HE also gave me some suggestions for performance mods if I was looking to upgrade.  I bought my daughter a Honda 400ex that had been sitting outside for a many years and I couldn't get it fired up.  Got an appointment with Bryan and dropped it off.  Within a week or so he got it fired up and called me to discuss what else it needs.  Super good guy and great with communication.

I'll forward you his IG. He doesn't post much (unlike some post brats I know...) but I contacted him through IG and he got back to me in a few days.

Bummer, the carb usually does the trick on those tiny quads. 

I just had the same problem on one of my 70s. Backfiring thinking it hits a rev limiter. First thing I would check is the coil make sure the wires going to it are tight and replace the CDI box. Once they realize what was going on I fixed it in 30 seconds

Check the compression and valve lash (again) do these still have vacuum petcocks? Fwiw these things are all made in china now and just rebranded. Cant wait till my youngest moves past the 50. Have two lt50s and its a miracle if they both make it through the weekend running good

Last edited by a moderator:
Replaced the CDI, as mentioned and the rear tether kill switch on these and the earlier 2 stroke models multiple times. I would start there. 

The seal on the crank probably came out , Common problem,,,, easy fix I've done it a few times

I called CT Racing about my sons YFZ450 and they said they aren't taking any new clients but gave me the name of a guy that used to work there Bryan with Alpha 1 Motorsports.  I contacted him last year and got on his 'list'.  He was great and text me when he had an opening and we took the quad to his shop in Yorba Linda.  He got the quad dialed in and the price was really good.  HE also gave me some suggestions for performance mods if I was looking to upgrade.  I bought my daughter a Honda 400ex that had been sitting outside for a many years and I couldn't get it fired up.  Got an appointment with Bryan and dropped it off.  Within a week or so he got it fired up and called me to discuss what else it needs.  Super good guy and great with communication.

I'll forward you his IG. He doesn't post much (unlike some post brats I know...) but I contacted him through IG and he got back to me in a few days.
i did my sons yfz450 with ct stuff plus 2 valves, ported head, piston, cams, power commander, timing chain, tensioner and a pipe the bike absoluty rips now. they are great people at ct helped me out and the do great work. we had the timing chain jump in the dunes called them up and the sent all that stuff to the dunes for me to rebuild it had it back running quick and saved our trip. im doing my raptor now same setup also rebuilding the crank on it all my parts should be here in a few days. i still have the old head but it is in storage if you need one to send out to get rebuilt and a new power commander here i bought several years ago if you need it   

I just had the same problem on one of my 70s. Backfiring thinking it hits a rev limiter. First thing I would check is the coil make sure the wires going to it are tight and replace the CDI box. Once they realize what was going on I fixed it in 30 seconds
they sell a cdi with a higher rev limiter the factory setting on the rev limiter makes it real slow 

Last edited by a moderator:
i did my sons yfz450 with ct stuff plus 2 valves, ported head, piston, cams, power commander, timing chain, tensioner and a pipe the bike absoluty rips now. they are great people at ct helped me out and the do great work. we had the timing chain jump in the dunes called them up and the sent all that stuff to the dunes for me to rebuild it had it back running quick and saved our trip. im doing my raptor now same setup also rebuilding the crank on it all my parts should be here in a few days. i still have the old head but it is in storage if you need one to send out to get rebuilt and a new power commander here i bought several years ago if you need it   
Thanks for the offer man! I'm planning on selling the YFZ450 as soon as my daughter's 400ex is fixed, which should be very soon. Don't have any plans to upgrade my son's Raptor 700... yet.

A really good friend was a factory rider for CT Racing years ago and he recommended I take my son's YFZ450 to them. I showed up and they didn't know who I was and the lady was actually super rude to me telling me you can't just show up, who worked on it before, what's wrong with it, we don't have room for it in the shop... Ok, I'll call my buddy Steve who arranged this, might be a simple misunderstanding. He wasn't available so I left. He did call me soon after that and I told him what happened and he said she was like that sometimes and I could take the quad to them now. I said thanks but I'll go somewhere else. So that's my one and only interaction with CT Racing. 

I'm going to Alpha 1 Motorsports today to check on my daughter's 400ex and I'll ask Bryan about CT. I was told he used to work there and left to start his own shop. Kinda curious if it was just me. Only ever heard great things about CT.

We used to supply CT with all their OEM parts back in the day, great shop, smart folks.....but a few people in the office lacked customer service skills.

Never heard of any issues with the Techs or their work.

We used to supply CT with all their OEM parts back in the day, great shop, smart folks.....but a few people in the office lacked customer service skills.

Never heard of any issues with the Techs or their work.
My buddy didn't have such good luck.

Sent his 250R engine for the 330 kit and to have cases polished.  Came back two months late, actually showed up the Monday before Thanksgiving.

Put the engine back in the bike kicked it and the kick starter didn't return. He opened it up and fixed that. Bike ran great but wouldn't down shift.  He called them up and told them what was up. They told him ship it back to them they would get to it after Thanksgiving they were going to Glamis. He told them that's where he was heading and if they were on Vendors he would bring it by.  They said they didn't want to work on his stuff on there vacation.

Another friend Joe at the time had been sending his stuff off to Trinity the two of them had a grudge match all set for that weekend :lol:  .  Harry had told my friend to bring his bike by and he would run it on the Dyno to make sure he would beat the CT racing guy.  When we got there they ran his bike and told him he should be able to beat the 330R kit with his 420 long rod no problem. Well Joe told Harry that the CT was sitting at home because they screwed up :sad:   Harry told him it's a simple fix tell him to bring it out I will fix it here, no charge. 

He did and Harry fixed it for free. 

The 330R ATC and 420 long rod Banshee battled it out for two day's at the hill.  Neither one could out right beat the other one... Round two was scheduled for Presidents Day.

ATC contacted PEP

Banshee got NOS

Same results :lol:   They stopped and called it a draw after that.    

@MWB

LOL...Harry McDermott, that guy liked to PARTY. Got a chance to at a LBZ Crusty Demon Viewing party.....I had to tap out.

Those guys were insane.

Thanks for the offer man! I'm planning on selling the YFZ450 as soon as my daughter's 400ex is fixed, which should be very soon. Don't have any plans to upgrade my son's Raptor 700... yet.

A really good friend was a factory rider for CT Racing years ago and he recommended I take my son's YFZ450 to them. I showed up and they didn't know who I was and the lady was actually super rude to me telling me you can't just show up, who worked on it before, what's wrong with it, we don't have room for it in the shop... Ok, I'll call my buddy Steve who arranged this, might be a simple misunderstanding. He wasn't available so I left. He did call me soon after that and I told him what happened and he said she was like that sometimes and I could take the quad to them now. I said thanks but I'll go somewhere else. So that's my one and only interaction with CT Racing. 

I'm going to Alpha 1 Motorsports today to check on my daughter's 400ex and I'll ask Bryan about CT. I was told he used to work there and left to start his own shop. Kinda curious if it was just me. Only ever heard great things about CT.
wow i had the total opposite experience roxann is in the office who usually answers the phone she was always nice to me. at first she was short and to the point with questions probably because the get alot of calls from people that have little working knowledge of a engine and dont really want to school everyone. but now they are great. i had to upgrade my raptor cause after i upgraded my sons yfz450 he smokes me up the big hills

Back