Long Range Builds and Shooting

Mac

Reaction score
Looking for some experience and opinions on long range builds and shooting.

I have some things to fulfill this, but looking to go further. I am pretty serious about a Barrett MRAD in .338 Lapua Mag. I was thinking of "settling" for a .300 WIN MAG... :LOL: but just want a little more since the gun is the same price.

Anyone here own a Barrett? What are your thoughts? How is the quality? What are the likes and dislikes? What are other builders you like or recommend and why?

I have an "in" with McMillan but I tend to like the more "military" look and feel of guns.

So...flame on or should I say...take your shot.

Looking for long range accuracy. I'm not a hunter so, range shooting, distance shooting. My goal is to punch the black at 1500 yards/meters before I hang it up.

I'm sure @punkur67 can lead you in the right direction. I would imagine something like the gun I built in a different caliber will get it done. I know folks are shooting 1600 yards with 6.5 CM, but I think that it's a stretch for that cartridge.

Reactions: Mac
Do you plan to reload or use factory ammo?

You can definitely hit than distance with a smaller round. Many people (including myself) make the mistake of getting a big ass magnum but really don't need it. And a big magnum will create bad habits unless you learn proper fundamentals with a lighter recoiling round. When I go shoot a mile or farther I use my 300wm with hand loads.

Also look at the 300 norma, it is quickly becoming a favorite ELR round.

Do you plan to reload or use factory ammo?

You can definitely hit than distance with a smaller round. Many people (including myself) make the mistake of getting a big ass magnum but really don't need it. And a big magnum will create bad habits unless you learn proper fundamentals with a lighter recoiling round. When I go shoot a mile or farther I use my 300wm with hand loads.

Also look at the 300 norma, it is quickly becoming a favorite ELR round.

I have a single shot rifles that shoots this stuff.

SUPER accurate! 👍🏼

I have a full custom M1A National Match that I really like, I just want more range.

I have been in the process of spec'ing out a 7PRC build with a model 700 gunwerks or Zermatt action, on an AG composite carbon stock /w 22" carbon six barrel /w suppressor. Ill figure out optics after i get the bun assembled. I am not a hunter but could use this if I needed to, the ballistics and trajectory on a 7prc out to 1000 yards is a sweet spot I think.

Too many new rounds these days. 300 wm is tried and true 338 is newer but proven

The 6.5cm is good too but ones I seen are the 6.5 prc and 7prc. Both impressive calibers but will need to get reloading which you should be doing for long range precision anyways.

I have been in the process of spec'ing out a 7PRC build with a model 700 gunwerks or Zermatt action, on an AG composite carbon stock /w 22" carbon six barrel /w suppressor. Ill figure out optics after i get the bun assembled. I am not a hunter but could use this if I needed to, the ballistics and trajectory on a 7prc out to 1000 yards is a sweet spot I think.
FWIW, carbon fiber barrels are only useful to lighten a rifle. The cons really out weight the pros. They make the rifle balance like shit, mirage off the barrel is terrible once you get 8-10 rounds off, and they cost way more. I had one CF barrel and sold it. I bolted all the weight I could get on the chassis and it was still ass heavy.

Back