Loading rail backwards in toyhauler

Angusbeef

Reaction score
I've heard of someone using a strap between the front-most DRings in the floor and hooking a winch to that to pull the rail backwards up the ramp.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Just bought a new sandcar and will have to go into the toyhauler backwards. I don't think reverse gear in the 2D would be too happy if I tried just backing it in. 

I would not trust the OEM floor d-rings.  Can  you add a winch under a step or in a cabinet to pull it in.  

D-rings

I would not trust the OEM floor d-rings.  Can  you add a winch under a step or in a cabinet to pull it in.  
X2, you are going to have to upgrade the D-rings front and back, and mount a winch somewhere to pull it in.  I mounted mine in the rear, and take the line to the front D-ring and then use a snatch block back the the buggy.

You should also make sure that you go thru a frame member when attaching the D-ring with your carriage bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you I'll look into that. Much appreciated

If you do load backwards get a scale and check your tongue weight. My car is 3500lbs and I always thought it should be backers in my 25' enclosed. Tried it once and used the tongue scale to check. Scale goes to 2000lbs and it was over that. So I went back to loading the car head first. Proper tongue weight is important.

I've heard of someone using a strap between the front-most DRings in the floor and hooking a winch to that to pull the rail backwards up the ramp.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Just bought a new sandcar and will have to go into the toyhauler backwards. I don't think reverse gear in the 2D would be too happy if I tried just backing it in. 
Tried it once and it bent the d rings. Like others said, winch it in. 

I’ve put a winch with remote in all my trailers / haulers, whether backing in or coming in forward winching in is the way to go.

All my setups have been with the winch mounted forward (direct pull).

Listen to LRS, a ton of experience there.

Back