lighted whips.....little different question

jareddustin

Reaction score
i know this topic has been beat to death but i think my question is a little different. 

i have been using the amazon lighted whips, last trip both of them broke. i have broken 4 whips in a season and a half. my question is in regards to the wiring. i really dont want to take the rzr apart and rerun wires. the amazon ones i have been using i have an app on my phone i can change all the colors, light movement all that fun stuff. if i went to a better whip like a 5150(just the first name that popped in my head) do i have to re wire everything or are all the connections the same?

They are all RGB strip lights that use three wires to power and control them. Your existing connector may be different but if you cut and splice the wires I bet it will work.

Thats a picture of the led strips like the ones in the lighted whips. There are only 3 connections which makes me thinks that all the controllers all do the same thing and should in theory control all brands of whips. Another option for you it to buy 5150 day whips and build your own. It doesn’t hurt the checkbook  as much if you break one you built.

9AB43BD3-30CB-4361-86C5-9172DF23C415.jpeg

Should be able to splice the wires and use whatever connecter is needed.   Honestly I am not sure any of the more expensive whips are any better than the Amazon ones.  

I have run the Safeglo whips and broken them.   I currently run 5150 whips and they have survived so far.  With 5150 whips and the magnetic holder you can switch to normal whips for the day time.   Maybe not having the light whips flopping around all the time helps make the last. 

Should be able to splice the wires and use whatever connecter is needed.   Honestly I am not sure any of the more expensive whips are any better than the Amazon ones.  

I have run the Safeglo whips and broken them.   I currently run 5150 whips and they have survived so far.  With 5150 whips and the magnetic holder you can switch to normal whips for the day time.   Maybe not having the light whips flopping around all the time helps make the last. 
after my first set broke i switched to the spring base, and i thought that was really helping but last weekend both of them broke. i was thinking about trying the day and night whips. most of our riding is during the day. we dont do big night rides, normally just from washes to the hill and back. 

after my first set broke i switched to the spring base, and i thought that was really helping but last weekend both of them broke. i was thinking about trying the day and night whips. most of our riding is during the day. we dont do big night rides, normally just from washes to the hill and back. 
I'm doing the same. I plan to order 5150 day whips and use them or switch to the lighted for the occasional night ride we do. I've had some challenges with mounts due to the trees we sometimes encounter here at the dunes in Oregon. I would rather have the lighter and less expensive day whips when this occurs. I have found the springs to be more of a PITA then they are worth. And folks don't love it when the whip springs back and thwaps you in the back of your head. Yes, helmets are on but still not fun. 

If you can live without the disco action lights - Buggy Whip is still the best in my opinion...unlike others that put led's inside or wrap around a plastic tube, they are wrapping around their OG fiberglass stick. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's why they are stronger? - along with stainless steel for the mounting points.

They have 15% discount going on right now too...KOH23

If you can live without the disco action lights - Buggy Whip is still the best in my opinion...unlike others that put led's inside or wrap around a plastic tube, they are wrapping around their OG fiberglass stick. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's why they are stronger? - along with stainless steel for the mounting points.

They have 15% discount going on right now too...KOH23
thank you 

i dont care about the disco action lights, i always have mine on a solid color. normally the teal color. 

I broke whips or lost lights every 2-3 trips... I've tried safe glow, 5150 and multiple cheap amazon ones, I was also using little red flags that came with the safeglows thinking that was helping not break the whip.  at one point I said heck with it since i'm buying whips every 2 trips anyways I may as well run a big 3'x5ft flag, and believe it or not I'm going on 2 seasons since i've had a whip issue,  I think the bigger flag is working like a shock absorber and just keeping constant pressure on it instead of it whipping all over the place.  

Good whips run a fiberglass core. Day and night whips seem like a gimmick to get people to buy more. Good whips can run day and night with a big flag. Spring base is IMO another gimmick to make poor quality whips last. Just my 2 pennies 

Jeff

I used a smartwhips for a number of years both day and night with a 18 x 24" flag on a rail that wasn't driven gently. No issues ever (I did go through a flag per season due to fraying from high speed runs). Very easy on and off too. Not sure if they are still in business tough. Unfortunate if not.

Good whips run a fiberglass core. Day and night whips seem like a gimmick to get people to buy more. Good whips can run day and night with a big flag. Spring base is IMO another gimmick to make poor quality whips last. Just my 2 pennies 

Jeff
are the wire connections pretty much the same? do you use similar connection on your whips as the others do? the one the whips i have been running are the 4 prong connections

are the wire connections pretty much the same? do you use similar connection on your whips as the others do? the one the whips i have been running are the 4 prong connections
from what I have seen most whip manufactures have different connectors. Mine are a simple DC connector with Pos and Neg

Back