Lifted jeeps in weekend warrior 5th wheel

Big_Daddy_Jp

Reaction score
What are you guys doing to fit your rides in your trailer? It’s looking like the easiest thing I can do to fit mine is buy some stock wheels with low pro tires for loading and unloading. Not ideal but I guess it will work. Just wondering what you guys have done to clear rear beds. Maybe you guys have a better idea?

Tow the Jeep as a double behind the toyhauler?
Well that’s an idea also. I will be having my buddy weld in a hitch on the trailer. Problem is even though I have the license for doubles, it will be over length. Yes I know tons of people are over length with the motor home and stacker but that’s not doubles. Also, as I said earlier, I have a license for doubles. If I get pulled over, I can’t play dumb.

I had a Tahoe transport toy hauler that the previous owner had a hero unlimited on 37’s with 4” lift…. He rust aired the tires down some and pulled it in. It was TIGHT on the upper cabinets from the roll bar as in like 1 1/2” on either side. He did occasionally rub on the bottom bunk which if it was removed would’ve been be issue. Another issue he had was weight limit of the ramp. He added another thick piece of plywood and rhino lined it. Gave it the added strength it needed. It was a heavy pig with the keep in it but it was a triple axle bumper pull that was rated for 5000lbs of cargo so it did fine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For doubles your legal length is 75’ but max trailer length is 28’6”.

Most of these toy haulers take a beating when you put that much weight in them, the floors were never designed to carry that much weight.  That is a lot of weight on 4 corners (tires).

If I might make a suggestion; have the ramp and rear of the trailer beefed up. At minimum also make sure the rear stab jacks are down when loading/unloading. I hauled my ZJ in my Rampage 5er for 5 years and while it fit fine, the trailer got wrecked from the weight. It started pulling the rear steel framing away from the box itself. I ended up having Jim at VIP do a bunch of work to it before I felt comfortable selling it to someone else. Trailer scaled in just over 18K lbs with the Jeep in it....

I think ATC Trailers are the only ones that really have the space and load capacity, although I see ppl throw 2 SxS's in 46' open floor plan toy haulers  all the time 

https://atctrailers.com/products/game-changer-pro/

ATC-Toy-Hauler-5th-Wheel-04.jpg

So I’ve beefed up the framing myself a long time ago. When sagging walls was an issue, I beefed up all of the outriggers, put cross members on the frame rails, and built outriggers to hold the wheel wells. As for the rear ramp, I’m a little worried about it holding the weight. Thinking maybe some 4x6 layed from the entrance of the trailer down to the ground to help with the weight? My 5er is a 38’ trailer with 18’ of pure cargo from the back door to the first cabinet so length isn’t an issue. Never thought about putting the rear jacks down when I load and unload the Jeep. That should help some. I Have the single rear bed in my trailer. I put new shock on it as the shocks were getting weak. It brought the bed up some. So my measurement is roughly 72” from bottom of bed to the floor. My rzr is 69” tall on 32” tires and fits easily. I measured the Jeep and if I remove the roof rack, it looks like it’s close to 71” tall. The Jeep has what I believe is a 3.5” Rubicon short arm kit with 33” tires. It is a 1995 Jeep Grande Cherokee. I’m gonna try and just remove the rack and see if it will fit without removing the handle on the underside of the bed. Right now there is only 18psi in the tires from our last trip. I can drop the pressure if need be. Last resort, I’ve found plenty of people selling stock wheels with worn out tires I can put on to make it fit for cheap. Stay tuned, I will let you know how it goes!

Well, it fit! Easily fit under the bed, a slight flex on the ramp door, and didn’t flatten the tires. The mirrors rub the couches and I had to crawl out the back hatch! I pulled it in about 6” short of the first cabinet and that put the mass of the weight pretty much centered over the axles. Now I will see how the tie down hooks hold and the trailer pulls. Im gonna buy some 4x6 lumber to lay from the trailer entrance to the dirt before the ramp. That should fix the flex on the door when loading and unloading. Once loaded I can just slide the wood under the Jeep. Pretty excited that it fit! I will take some pics later and post.

20170530_103652.jpgMy Commando was tight. And heavy. If it didn't fit height wise i was going to try to compress the axels with ratchet straps.20170526_073345.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you’ve got the frame part handled. As far as the rear jacks, are yours the scissor style or the single leg? The scissor style is what I had and they can deal with actually supporting the weight and still be able to be cranked back up after loading the Jeep in the trailer. I don’t have experience with the single leg style but have heard people say they don’t like dealing with a lot of weight and tend to fold? Either way, the crawling in and out of the back hatch was always fun! :lol:  

finally found some pictures I took what feels like eons ago. Including my brother’s GMC Jimmy before we SAS’d it and it became too tall to fit under the rear single bed. Trailer was an 03 Rampage 377 (38ft) with 19’ open cargo but always was limited having to deal with the pair of captains chairs. Towed great with the Jeep inside, was just heavy as hell. It was somehow not over any axle capacities tho. I ran 10 ply E rated 16” LT tires on the trailer so had plenty of tire capacity (triple axle)

F3647709-9359-44E0-9116-004EFEA7FDBC.jpeg

BF446161-01B1-4670-99B8-10585B9BF68D.jpeg

4D31E174-1851-46E2-9471-945C0A0198A9.jpeg

My rear jacks are the single leg on each corner. I’m looking at buying some 2”x12”x12’ boards to lay from inside the trailer to the ground. I think it will help disperse the weight on the ramp loading and unloading the Jeep. Once loaded I can slide them under the Jeep.

My rear jacks are the single leg on each corner. I’m looking at buying some 2”x12”x12’ boards to lay from inside the trailer to the ground. I think it will help disperse the weight on the ramp loading and unloading the Jeep. Once loaded I can slide them under the Jeep.
I use 2x12” on the ramp door of my enclosed for my Jeep it works good that is what the mfg said to use as I didn’t have the rear door beefed up when I ordered the trailer 

I wish I could find the pictures but I remember someone from this site a long time ago put a full size chevy blazer in their WW. It always amazed me to see it. Glad to see this works I am wanting to build a budget crawler and haul it in my 5er and was worried about the weight. 

Back