Lets talk Tools!!! Sandcar and SXS welcome.

Grease Monkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off, I have lots of tools. Being a mechanic for 30 years, I've collected my fair share on my own as well as the pass downs from my grandfather and father whom have since passed. Both were mechanics.

I can build a rolling shop if I need to.

With all of this though, I have never carried a tool in my car. I always dune with someone in our group and they have tools packed in their cars.

I have been lucky and the few times I have needed help, the group had what I needed or one went back to camp so we could fix it in the dunes and drive out.

I have been looking for something like a bag or tool roll that I can secure in my car. I have a great storage area now and want to pack my tools.

What works for you?

What tools are you bringing along?

Have any photos of bags or rolls that you can share?

Spare parts?

Lots of options online but I would like some opinions and the good and bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
We always have a towel to put under anywhere we’ll be wrenching on. That way when a nut or bolt is dropped it’s not gone forever, sand tends to disappear things.  It’s also nice to have rubber gloves, paper towels and carb cleaner for whenever you need to pull the axles in the middle of the dunes. 

I am the Same Dumont can make it back with a tow strap pretty easy, or can run back to camp, 

But if find a lot of people using my tools at Camp,  Stuff I have collected for some time, couple of things that people might want to bring

Power Steering Pulley Puller, 

Harmonic Balancer puller and front seal, 

Large socket for Harmonic Balancer LS, 

I keep a 36mm Socket for the old VW guys for the rear hubs, 

Allen for a drain plug for the transaxle 

Zues Tools 

Tap and Dies Set,  this gets borrowed a lot 

Easy out set

Metri Pack and Weather Pack Crimps 

Grease Gun 

M18 Fuel Impact for LS balancer, 

Torque Wrench Large and Small 

From experience last season, make sure you have whatever tool you need to remove your axles. It was very frustrating getting my axles out with a locked up trans so I could get towed out. 

Now I carry a triple square 3/8 drive bit. A socket bit and ratchet for your CV bolts is way easier than an allen wrench. 

Knock on wood. 

I carry different tool bags for every vehicle. I've rarely needed any of it but I have saved a few rides of buddies and strangers with what I carry.

Crown royal bags of tools all stuffed into a couple of zip up Dewalt bags in the RZR,  old camel back bags bungy tied and zip tied into different spots on the old rail, 25 year old 20lb fanny pack for when I'm on the dirt bike, also keep a bunch of universal tools on the wife a kids quads for their units.

That tool roll looks better then the one I got.  The one I got was a little to small and once I put a couple tools in the pocket it was full and the ratchet I had was a 1/2" to long.

As far as what tools to carry, I just went thru the same thing. I decided that just throwing the basics in and will ad things as I find things I need or use more.  Not worth the hassle of figuring out everything I could use only to use none.  Hell at the end of the year I might even go thru the onboard tool kit again and remove a few items, and get a bigger roll.

I bring basics HF canvas bag 8mm-19mm wrench set,multi use screwdriver,vice grips,pliers,and a cv with needed stuff to change it.If i need more tools im just fukked and theres a tow strap.

This bag is what got me thinking. 

How do you like it? Does it carry a decent amount of tools?
It carry’s quite a bit of tools and it keeps it organized.  I also like it because I can hang it up and keep it out of the sand.  

Back