Leather Vs Suede Steering Wheels

ChasingSand

Reaction score
Made the mistake and bought too big of a steering wheel for my SU car. The wheel hits my legs, big guy small car problems. The previous wheel I had (Grant 11inch) worked great but was leather and would tear up my hands.

Kartek sells an 11 inch Momo that is leather but I am wondering if it will tear up my hands again?

Called my local upolostrey shop and they wanted 450 to wrap the wheel in suede, so that is out.

Anyone run a leather wheel with no issues?

I like leather more.  How was it tearing up your hands?

Had a suede wheel in my racecar (Sparco).  Eventually started separating and looked like sheeyit.

You have to wear gloves with Suede, otherwise your hands will be black after a dune run. .  I like my leather ones better

Mine is a cheapie Grant wheel & when Im wearing gloves (when its cold) it is SUPER slippery.  with bare skin its fine.  it seems like a moisture thing.  

I like leather more.  How was it tearing up your hands?

Had a suede wheel in my racecar (Sparco).  Eventually started separating and looked like sheeyit.
I think the leather had dried out as it was close to 20 years old and was not that smooth anymore.

Leather for sure, especially in the outside conditions.  I thought I needed more leg room as well so picked up a D shaped wheel 2 weeks ago.  Used it for one weekend at the dunes, I cannot stand not having a symmetrical wheel so it is coming off to be sold.

IMG_20220510_101936.jpg

Leather for sure, especially in the outside conditions.  I thought I needed more leg room as well so picked up a D shaped wheel 2 weeks ago.  Used it for one weekend at the dunes, I cannot stand not having a symmetrical wheel so it is coming off to be sold.

I wondered about that..........

I have a sued Momo, so far 7 years no issues, feels fine on my hands 

I’ve been running the MPI suede 13” with flat bottom. I really like it. Haven’t kept a car long enough to tell if it lasts :) 

Back