Kawasaki Teryx Electrical Gremlin

Misterkidd

Reaction score
I used to have a Rhino back when they were cool. Been out of the game for a while and jumped back in with a used 2016 Kawasaki Teryx4. It's pretty tricked out. Nothing that I need to add. However, it left me stranded with an intermittent electrical problem. Blew the 10 amp fuse for the ignition system. Replaced the fuse and blew again immediately. Had my friend tow me back. Pulled off a bunch of plastic and couldn't find anything obvious. Still blew fuses when replaced. Trailered home and the problem disappeared. The problem has reared its ugly head a couple of times now. Wiggling the wires behind the dash sometimes helps, so I'm thinking it's probably a short somewhere. I just can't recreate the problem in a setting where I can really get after it. Bumpy terrain usually creates the issue (and fixes the issue). Last time I waved my friends on because I was going to do my wiggle the wires trick and catch up. Was stuck for a couple of hours until they got back from a ride. Problem disappeared by the time I got towed back to camp (<1 mile). I'm up in the high desert (Hesperia). Any suggestions on who to take it to or how to proceed? I just don't want to be THAT guy on the rides anymore.

It sounds like a dead short, that is a hot wire going straight to ground...you can only have so many hot wires in there....one by one.....you will have to trace them and find the issue...had an issue like that on my ford.....finally figured it out... zip tying the wires solved it for a while, but it was bad connector....start at the connections then trace the wire to where it terminates...

IIRC the ECM is under the dash, mounted to the firewall, so you are probably hunting in the right area. Are there any accessories, relays etc. mounted to the firewall where screws may have been driven into a loom?

Back