Judge Says RV Manufacturer's Disclaimers are an Anti-Consumer 'Scheme'

Rockwood

Reaction score

I personally know of more than a couple of people who've been completely hosed buying a new RV.  Looks like there might finally be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Great video...alot of these warranty claims are coming from Tiffin owners, as Thor purchased them a few years ago.

As trailers go,  the big issue is Lippert,  most of the RV issue i have had, is Frame Related,  Cracks in the walls because the frame sags, or rear door issues rear door from lippert,  

The chassis looks strong being a 10'' I beam, but when you drill the i beam to add something, it is only 3/16 thick  the chassis are not good at all, then the outrigger support for the walls are 1/8 thick and only go down the frame a couple of inches, 

Roof issue, are from the manufacture,  they should have a better warranty, i had a roof fail after 6 months, they said they fixed it and by the time in noticed the issue it was a couple years later, and everyone putting there hands up,  

If Lippert sells it, cross your fingers,   the only Lippert product that has worked for me is the OneControl,  as complicated as the OneControl is, it has been flawless,  So I know Lippert can make a quality product if they want, they choose not to,   for example look at in wall slides,  just junk. 

Got to start with a good foundation, 

As trailers go,  the big issue is Lippert,  most of the RV issue i have had, is Frame Related,  Cracks in the walls because the frame sags, or rear door issues rear door from lippert,  

The chassis looks strong being a 10'' I beam, but when you drill the i beam to add something, it is only 3/16 thick  the chassis are not good at all, then the outrigger support for the walls are 1/8 thick and only go down the frame a couple of inches, 

Roof issue, are from the manufacture,  they should have a better warranty, i had a roof fail after 6 months, they said they fixed it and by the time in noticed the issue it was a couple years later, and everyone putting there hands up,  

If Lippert sells it, cross your fingers,   the only Lippert product that has worked for me is the OneControl,  as complicated as the OneControl is, it has been flawless,  So I know Lippert can make a quality product if they want, they choose not to,   for example look at in wall slides,  just junk. 

So true. LCI controls a huge portion of the RV component market, most notably tin-foil frames.

I say, "Lippert, the first word in RV heartaches."

Northwood, New Horizons, and most of the horse trailer type units are pretty much the only way to avoid a Lippert frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video...alot of these warranty claims are coming from Tiffin owners, as Thor purchased them a few years ago.
I've been following this. It is not a result of Tiffin owners. Tiffin was acquired by Thor Industries, NOT Thor Motor Coaches. They are two different entities. Tiffin is still operated by Tiffin Motorhomes and has their own warranty. The above issues are with Thor RV's made by Thor Motor Coaches. Thor Industries ownes many RV brands such as, Airstream, Crossroads RV, Dutchman, Entegra Coach, Heartland, Jayco, Keystone, KZ, Starcraft, Thor Motor Coaches, Tiffin, Venture, and several others. They all have their own warranties. This has been an on going issue with anything built by Thor Motor Coaches. AND,,,,,,, I can tell you first hand, that Tiffin goes above and beyond to help their customers. I've had them warranty things when mine was two years out of warranty, while they were owned by Thor "Industries."

Roof leaks: I have no clue why the RV industry ignores simple gravity and terminates the roof skin on TOP of an RV.

Most of the problems my friends have had were with installed systems: heat, slide motors, AC, electronics, wiring, etc. 

Add in the fact that Lippert hires $15/hr welders and the consumer suffers. Thin I beams and crappy welds doesn’t pair well. 

I picked up a new Genesis 5th wheel late last year and immediately had it inspected (Frame, Brakes etc.) with Jim Goodwin @ VIP RV Service. 

The brakes were perfect (all 6) 

The frame (Lippert) outriggers were better than in the past but we still added additional supports as the outriggers did not fully extend down the sides of the frame so there was a chance of flex/sag and fully boxed in the axles....she's solid now....small price to pay for piece on mind. 

It's unfortunate we have to be worried and or proactive but it is what it is for now......Lippert has a monopoly in the RV industry!  

I picked up a new Genesis 5th wheel late last year and immediately had it inspected (Frame, Brakes etc.) with Jim Goodwin @ VIP RV Service. 

The brakes were perfect (all 6) 

The frame (Lippert) outriggers were better than in the past but we still added additional supports as the outriggers did not fully extend down the sides of the frame so there was a chance of flex/sag and fully boxed in the axles....she's solid now....small price to pay for piece on mind. 

It's unfortunate we have to be worried and or proactive but it is what it is for now......Lippert has a monopoly in the RV industry!  
got any pictures?  I bought a new Genesis Vortex two years ago and the frame was much better than past toyhaulers i have had but more beef in the right places im all for that!

Back