John Madden

What I will always remember about Mr. Madden is his humanity. In 1978 in a pre-season game against New England-Patriots WR Darryl Stingley was hit and paralyzed by Raider Jack Tatum. Mr. Madden rushed to the hospital after the game to see Mr. Stingley and was appalled by the fact that no one from the NE organization came to see Mr. Stingley or his family. He called the airport and demanded that the Patriot charter plane be held and then Patriots coach Chuck Fairbanks come to be with Mr. Stingley. Mr. Madden offered his home/car to Darryl Stingley's family and purchased clothes for Mr. Stingley's girlfriend who had no change of clothes. He visited Mr. Stingley in the hospital on a regular basis and helped to pay his medical bills when there was a problem with the insurance company and the Patriots organization to pay for it. Mr. Madden remained friends with Darryl Stingley right up until his passing. RIP Mr. Madden

Reactions: THD
My kids that are 10 and 8 that are huge football fans have no idea who he is. Their biggest concern was if there was gonna still be the madden video game. I had to explain who he was. They didn’t seem very interested. 

My kids that are 10 and 8 that are huge football fans have no idea who he is. Their biggest concern was if there was gonna still be the madden video game. I had to explain who he was. They didn’t seem very interested. 
To them it is just a Brand, not a person.

Have them watch the movie Little Giants he has a cameo in it, put a face to the name 

Back