Jerky tips

Kraut_n_Rice

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
So, I'm looking to start making my own jerky.  Just for healthier snacks at work and weekends.

I obviously will need a dehydrator.  What consumer grade units have you fellas had good luck with?  I plan on doing larger batches, so something that has expandable tray options would be great.

Being that I want to do larger batches, I figured a slicer would be nice to have.  Ease and consistency.  Same goes, what units should I look into?

THX 

I've got the Nesco dehydrator.  Came with the jerky caulk gun for making ground beef jerky, which is fantastic!

Been doing sliced jerky on my smoker last few sessions which gives a better taste than the dehydrator.  Less time too.  Always used London Broil.  Very little fat.

I've got the Nesco dehydrator.  Came with the jerky caulk gun for making ground beef jerky, which is fantastic!

Been doing sliced jerky on my smoker last few sessions which gives a better taste than the dehydrator.  Less time too.  Always used London Broil.  Very little fat.
So you use just the standard ground beef like you would for making hamburgers? Of course you put in all your own seasonings. 

So you use just the standard ground beef like you would for making hamburgers? Of course you put in all your own seasonings. 
Yep. Ground beef as lean as possible.  The nesco came with 'cure' and seasonings.  Since we ran out, wife stocked up and keeps stocking more.

Yep. Ground beef as lean as possible.  The nesco came with 'cure' and seasonings.  Since we ran out, wife stocked up and keeps stocking more.
That's some of the best seasoning I've ever had and I tried a chit ton from Amazon. At least for making the beef sticks anyways.

We've had this one for the last 10 years. Rock Solid, used it a hundred times, it's a little expensive but worth it. I see some cheaper brands out there are similar style.

https://a.co/d/73rQLDj

This is good stuff if you like teriyaki.

20221024_183904.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife would have the butcher slice the meat to her specs for her jerky.

Only tip I've got.

While youre waiting to purchase the dehydrator and slicer can always use the oven. I had fun trying to make chicken jerky. Partially froze the chicken breast and then cut it super thin. Was thin enough to see through. Flavor and texture was probably a 5 outta 10 but still tasted pretty darn good and semi healthy. 

You guys like grass fed beef? Costco has some grass fed meat sticks. To me the grass fed has a slight funky flavor. Wonder if its similar to cilantro in that your dna determines if some flavors taste bad. 

I've made my own jerky for years.  I used to soak it in a mixture of secret stuff...worchesture, liquid smoke, and etc.   I think that it has a deeper taste (inside the meat).  But, I gave that up and just salt & pepper it like crazy.  Try different spices....powdered garlic, cayenne, etc.  STart it in the dehydrator, then flip it after 5-10 minutes and spice it up again.

You can also do it in the oven.  Set it on a low temp and prop the door open.

Slice it 1/4" thick.  It will loose about 1/2 its thickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been making it for almost 30 years first used a dehydrator 5 tray round one it worked great.Then this year i tried my sideburner smoker and its way easier and faster i can put little charcoal to keep about 175 degrees toss in some hickory chips just a few is all it takes and about 4 hours its done my brother does his on a traegar while drinking a truly.

As for meat i like top round,london broil i look for good grain and cut it thin with a fillet knife but my brother has been buyin pre cut meat at costco.Marinade that depends on what you like i usually use a mix of soy sauce,worchester sauce,brown sugar,some lemon and pepper.

I got out of making it because i use to just buy the stiff at loves truck stop the peppered version was 25 per pound and easy just buy and go but its now 55 bucks and the 12 dollar jar is now 30 bucks so went back to making my own.I know use my old dehydrator to dry my brass for reloading.

Use a smoker and have the butcher cut the meat for you..............experiment with seasoning, tons of options on the internet.

Back