iPad mini mount

LtPyro

Reaction score
For all those using iPads, specifically the iPad mini, what case and mount do you use?  I’ll be using my iPad as my gps in the car and want it protected as best I can from the sand while being able to see it while driving.

I use the Otterbox Defender case. It has a hard plastic cover that it snaps into. I screwed the hard plastic cover straight to my dash so the IPAD just snaps in and out.

For all those using iPads, specifically the iPad mini, what case and mount do you use?  I’ll be using my iPad as my gps in the car and want it protected as best I can from the sand while being able to see it while driving.
What program are you using for GPS and do you have to signal the whole time for it to function?

Otter box defender and 3m dual lock adhesive on the back, doesn’t rattle and hasn’t slipped.

Is the mini bright enough?   I think it’s 500 nit.  I’m running the On-X app for navigation on my 11” iPad Pro and it’s just bright enough (600 nit), but I wish it was brighter and smaller.   

I hear the new mini iPad coming out next month will be 1,000 nit.   Which is similar to a Panasonic Toughbook.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the mini bright enough?   I think it’s 500 nit.  I’m running the On-X app for navigation on my 11” iPad Pro and it’s just bright enough (600 nit), but I wish it was brighter and smaller.   

I hear the new mini iPad coming out next month will be 1,000 nit.   Which is similar to a Panasonic Toughbook.  

Well i haven't bought the ipad yet so maybe I'll wait until the new ones are announced and see.  I'll still need a way to mount it.  I don't have a panel to mount it in, so a good case and a bar mount is what I'm looking for.  I won't have enough room for a full size ipad.

What program are you using for GPS and do you have to signal the whole time for it to function?
I've been playing around with a couple on my phone, not 100% sure what I'll be going with yet.  I did buy a Dual GPS antenna (Dual XGPS160) to help with the signal everywhere.

If you buy a service model (not wifi only) they have a built in gps chip. The wifi only do not have GPS chip and would need an external puck.

I use leadnav on mine and have a service model (with no active service plan). GPS works anywhere with no service or wifi connection present.

So the new ipad mini is still 500nit, the phones however are at 1000nit.  I purchased  the ipad mini 5th gen as trying to do the new gestures to close or open apps on the new ipad would be a pain on the new ipads while in the car.  I also got the Otterbox defender case.  Now I just need to find a way to mount it in the car which doesn't have a dash panel so a bar mount is what I'll need.

In my RZR, I used this RAM mount.  I made a bracket to hold the iPad behind the steering wheel, but doesn't apply to your buggy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCTY9BY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used a fully sealed cover for my iPad mini 4 from Amazon, that has worked well, but it shows not available now.  It's been in the sand, snow and rain all with perfect results, wish I could share it!
Do you think that mount would hold a otterbox defender?

Back