Insurance adjuster advice

r3meyer

Reaction score
So unfortunately one of my fleet trucks was Tboned this week.  My employee was fine, but truck will need some work.  Not sure if they will total it or not.  Its been about 12 years  since I have had to deal with an adjuster when it comes to totaling out a vehicle.  

My trucks are bought and paid for so ideally I will want this one back either way.  Has a new transmission and only 160k on it. 

Anyone have an advice when it comes to dealing with insurance adjusters?

Have you been contacted by the adjuster yet?  They will usually take statements about the accident and then wait for an estimate for the repairs.  If you think it will be totaled started looking around and see what the used value is of the truck so you can get an idea of what it is worth.   

Even if they total it, you can usually buy it back w/ a salvage title.  If the damage amount is less than the current value of the truck, they will go the repair route.  Just keep in mind parts are scarce, and body shops are way behind.

Even if they total it, you can usually buy it back w/ a salvage title.  If the damage amount is less than the current value of the truck, they will go the repair route.  Just keep in mind parts are scarce, and body shops are way behind.
This is what I would look at. You can buy it back for pennies on the dollar and usually come out ahead after repairs. 

Down time on a work vehicle will add money to settlement. This will be another factor for them to figure in. How long will repairs take, how available are parts to repair?

Just beware, MOST insurance companies have hired more than 50% of their staff in the last couple years.....they are new and have no idea what they are doing.... good Luck. 

Watch out what shop you take it too... a LOT of them will charge storage and fees that the insurance company wont pay and they may end up taking out of your settlement.  Leave it at your yard if you can for them to either inspect or you can send them photos of it.  

Not sure what they are going to do yet.  Both drivers were cited for failing to yield (left turn) other driver blew through the red light.

Bedside is crunched, rim is broken, drive line was ripped out, and axel was moved back on the spring pack about 6 inches.  I dont see any crumple spots on the frame.  I could fix it easily.  If they say the frame is bent then im sure it will be totaled and I will still buy it back.  Its a Tacoma so they are impossible to find for a decent price.

Its a work truck so as long as it has AC and is safe to drive its going back out.  Most of these trucks get 500k miles and parts are easy to come by.  If you have employees you know no one treats your vehicles like you do.

I have a spare work truck we use just for reasons like this one so I do have time.  I have State Auto.

Not sure what they are going to do yet.  Both drivers were cited for failing to yield (left turn) other driver blew through the red light.

Bedside is crunched, rim is broken, drive line was ripped out, and axel was moved back on the spring pack about 6 inches.  I dont see any crumple spots on the frame.  I could fix it easily.  If they say the frame is bent then im sure it will be totaled and I will still buy it back.  Its a Tacoma so they are impossible to find for a decent price.

Its a work truck so as long as it has AC and is safe to drive its going back out.  Most of these trucks get 500k miles and parts are easy to come by.  If you have employees you know no one treats your vehicles like you do.

I have a spare work truck we use just for reasons like this one so I do have time.  I have State Auto.
haven't heard of State Auto.   I think you will be surprised what they give you for it.  If they fix it then just use a shop of your choosing and get it fixed and be done with.  Hopefully you can just get some good quotes and then get a check and fix it yourself.  Good luck

I buy a new truck and keep business rolling. Whatever results you get from the Insurance Company, it is what it is. I can't afford litigation! Gotta keep rolling. {Peace

Back