Installing Larger AWG wires from Converter/Charger to Battery

ChasingSand

Reaction score
I recently switched over to Lithium and installed a power max 100amp charger. issue I have is that the factory only installed 8awg wire and I am only getting about 30 amps during a bulk charge. Reading on other forums looks like most folks have gone to a 4WG wire with success. My question since my trailer is in storage does the wire coming out of the charger/converter go straight to the battery or to the fuse panel? Also, has anyone done this upgrade and seen better charge results?

It seems to me if you are losing that much power your wires should be pretty warm.

How long is the run?

There are some spectacular videos on youtube that explain in multiple parts about upgrading batteries, installing inverters, monitors, more solar, etc.  I consider myself pretty handy (General contractor by trade) and I was amazed at how much I learned.  Especially about all the fittings, fuses, disconnects, etc. that I would never know were available, but lead to a super clean install.  They use #4 wire with special crimpers, etc.  They even have some odd-ball stuff like running a #4 from truck battery to under rear bumper in case you are off-grid and need to use your truck to charge or run your trailer.

4AWG is minimum size to carry 100 amps. But depends how long the run is as mentioned by @Indian Joe. I agree with his comment that if you are losing that much power your wire would be very hot. Depending on the quality of the converter/charger you likely will never see a true 100 amps. 

On my Dc to Dc charger there is a setting to cut the out put power in half.

Last edited by a moderator:
62425d1235669252-wire-gauge-ampacity-table-wiringdiagram.jpg

Voltage drop due to length is also a concern.  This chart be your friend. :biggrin:

Back