IMMEDIATE REVOCATION OF MAN CARD - Removing the Rotary

Reece Pettersen

Reaction score
This one hurt to see. That car should be kept rotary and light weight. He bought the wrong car if he wants an LS. 

image.png

Even a turbo k24 would be better than LS.  As hard as it is to see; he bought it and he can bastardize it anyway he chooses :(

no emotion; it's just a toy......

Even a turbo k24 would be better than LS.  As hard as it is to see; he bought it and he can bastardize it anyway he chooses :(

no emotion; it's just a toy......
Agreed or even a subi would have been great. I have a ultralight car and even with the turbo V6 it’s fun but it has a lot of weight in the rear. 

I did a 2 cars last year one from a Honda to a LS the other from a subi to a LS,  both where ready to get a SXS, and not with the LS, they said it was the most fun thing they ever drove, 

I drove a rotary for a couple of years, it was actually the most pain in the but motor i have owned,  Dont think people realize how light you can make a LS, 

We did a Aluminum block LS3, plastic intake sheetmetal pan, and mini race alternator,  and aluminum balancer, it pretty much waighed the same as a turbo honda motor with 450 lbs of torque and 550HP.  

I had a SU ultralight 4 seater deleted rear seats, KATG wide body, went from a subi 28lbs boost on e85, to ls3 525. John at outfront, Ed at SU along with nearly everyone said don’t do it. Car performed equally as good in the dunes if not better since it had more torque to blip off lips and drops to land flat. Drags were comparable, car still weighed less then 2k lbs. Sold car to build new SU car #1.
new owner put rear seats back in and still owns it years later, and says it’s one of the best cars he’s ever owned.  

Built Rotary Motors are VIOLENT when in the high RPMs.

SUPER BADASS - But clearly not for everyone for sure. 

That is a cool little car, I think a Honda 3.5 would be bad ass, but an ls is only a tiny bit more weight, and a lot easier to get parts... so yea I get it... 
Correct.  The difference between an aluminum LS and a 13B is in the dozen pound range unless its NA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd ditch the rotary too.  Maybe transplant it into a tiny street ride.

065 tubes and an LS what could go wrong
Though I don't think this LS upgrade is a good idea as long as it's designed and built right .065 works.  Hell, my 3500lb dunebuggy.com Sidewnder is all 1 5/8" .065 wall.  But there's a lot of tubes.

I dont know anyone that says they hate their LS with a blower on it.  Its seriously about as much fun as you can have with clothes on.

My buddy swapped his 2 seat alumicraft with a turbo honda to a mild 5.3 and it's amazing.  Thing slides like crazy with the right paddles on the back.

That car is nostalgia with a rotary. It looses it's cool factor with an LS.  :classic_sad:

Correct.  The difference between an aluminum LS and a 13B is in the dozen pound range unless its NA.
People dont realize how light a LS motor is,   with a Turbo setup you have the turbo the extra piping, and the intercooler with and possibly another fan on the intercooler,  and still make less HP than a NA LS, 

All the LS conversations we have done, everyone of them fell in love with the car again, 

It took a 17k LS motor to feel as fast as my 5k junkyard turbo Honda set up. I do think driving style has a lot to do with it. I’m a momentum guy that likes to maintain speed and flow. I’ve dunes with some guys that make a lot of tight u turns and in the Honda I’d have to shift a bunch. 

I've had a couple of those cars and I think the Honda or Subi would be more fun, but I bet he will sell the car for more money with the ls. Just the way it seems to work these days.

Back