Idaho Dunes Questions

Jrauscher1

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My group is making our first trip up to idaho dunes rv next week and I have some questions.

How is the cell service up there? We have some college kids that need internet to complete their work.

Any places to eat that you all would recommend?

instead of just duning any trail rides we should do? maybe even ride to jackson hole?

Im sure ill have more questions as I think of them.

Thanks for the info!

yes

there are several things to do.

when we go we dune every other day

on the days off we had these destinations:

ice cave and the military "lava" caves  they are close by each other and is cool to explore. you cant get to the ice cave by normal car very easily

going to Jackson hole and doing rafting on the Snake is a must, tons of rental places, plan the whole day

we would go to yellow stone for a day but that's probably not going to happen this year

we would find a place on a local river, jump the fence and wade for a cool refreshing afternoon in the water

We've never stayed at Idaho Dunes RV but have stayed at Sand Hills a couple of times. Never had any issue not having cell service. When we were there last year, it was a heat wave. Did our riding in the morning and evening. You can ride up until 10pm due to it staying light long. During the day, we mostly just hung around camp and BS'd. Did take a day trip to the water park in Rexburg. Kids loved it. Like John mentioned, Yellowstone is probably out for you due to the historic floods causing so much destruction. 

The guy we camped to last year mentioned there is also a ton of trail riding in the area as well as opposed to just doing the dunes. You can split the time doing both if you have the proper equipment.

Andrew

The owners at IDRV are pretty nice and knowledgeable about the trips that are available in sxs. You can ask them once you get there.  

I was there last week. Stayed at Sandhills. No issues with cell service. Yellowstone was closed and signs at the store said don’t go there. It seems to be at least partially open now as I know a few peeps that are there now and posting about it, I think they said the west entrance is open. 

We only planned for 5 days there this time and lost two of them to weather, so we didn’t really take any side trips while there. Last time though we did the ice caves, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Mesa Falls, and bear world. Yellowstone and Jackson Hole were their own separate day trips. The others were closer and didn’t take up the whole day unless you wanted them too.

Didn’t look into trail riding as we were mostly sand cars. 

Have fun!!

I’ve stayed at both IDRV and the BLM by the lake. The lake is a fun afternoon and it’s right there in the dunes. 
As others have said many other things to do as well. 
It’s high altitude so you may have to re-jet or race gas or both. 

Also Bear World, and the St. Anthony Sandbar Park  

You are in a Mormon City, so in Rexburg - Pizza Dairy Queen, Five Guys Burgers, ext... 

St. Anthony Brulims Supermarket, had super fresh Fruits and Feggies,  Meat looked like it was there for some time, 

If you want Quality Higher End Restaurant, then Jackson Wyoming is where you will need to go, dowtown Jackson (Jackson Hole is fun to walk around, like adventure land at Disney.  

Amazing coffee and Sandwiches  and Rafting was in the small town of Gardiner, at the North Entrance, Tubbleweed bookstore and Cafe / Coffee, amazing food, 

around $60 per person next door to go River Rafting at the Flying Pig River Rafting, great people, 

if you go to yellow stone, the line can me over a hour in, so one hack is to go all the way down to the south then east to Canyon st, there is a light on Canyon st, this is why traffic is so backed up, you will be in the right hand lane and will zip right around everyone, 

If you go to Old Faithful, be prepared, lot of Concrete Asphalt and Hotel, not much nature, parking takes some time,  the big thing to see there is the uppper and lower falls. 

If you have enough time, staying a day at Zion Utah, to me is more amazing than Yellow stone, Zion Restaurants are Amazing - Rv Park would be KOA after St. George off the 215, Sand Hollow Resort or Zion RV Park 

Also we stayed before Salt Lake in Nephi at the Rollin Home RV Park, Super Nice with 100x30' spots with a one way entrance so super easy to get in and out,  Provo Koa was a chit hole, Brigham City KOA

In Farmington you can stay at Lagoom Amusement Park that can be fun on the way up also (Salt Lake Area ) 

I’ve stayed at both IDRV and the BLM by the lake. The lake is a fun afternoon and it’s right there in the dunes. 
As others have said many other things to do as well. 
It’s high altitude so you may have to re-jet or race gas or both. 
Factory Fuel Injection, Holley Injection, AEM and Motec With Wideband, you will not know the Difference,  Mefi can be a long trip or no driving at all, 

EDIT: Google answered my question. 

the elevation is ~5000 Ft. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Factory Fuel Injection, Holley Injection, AEM and Motec With Wideband, you will not know the Difference,  Mefi can be a long trip or no driving at all, 
I should have clarified to re-jet for carburetors. My MEFI sand rail ran great up there. 

If you have UTV’s Mike at IDRV does guided rides now. A couple years ago we were with the Funco clan and Mike took us to Island Park. Had lunch and drinks at the lodge right on the lake. Probably 100 mile round trip. One of the best rides I’ve been on. 

not too much rain this time of year. It will be hotter than hell most likely. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Many great suggestions already mentioned. We usually stop in Idaho Falls and hit the Super Walmart for last minute grocery needs and fresh produce. Bring your dirt tires and hit the trails....beware the Ice Caves while trail riding....meaning don't fall in....explore them for sure! Rexburg will be the nearest town and will have just about anything you need...last year we brought our golf clubs and hit some local links...and found some cool places to fish...but didn't catch much. 

Enjoy and safe travels! 

Thank you all for the input!!! We cannot wait to get up there! If anyone from GD is up there from around the 1st through the 9th I will be in spots 45-46 Look for my grey f250 and a big attitude fifth wheel I will have cold beers for who ever stops by!

Many great suggestions already mentioned. We usually stop in Idaho Falls and hit the Super Walmart for last minute grocery needs and fresh produce. Bring your dirt tires and hit the trails....beware the Ice Caves while trail riding....meaning don't fall in....explore them for sure! Rexburg will be the nearest town and will have just about anything you need...last year we brought our golf clubs and hit some local links...and found some cool places to fish...but didn't catch much. 

Enjoy and safe travels! 
If your claustrophobic like me. Don't waste your time on the ice caves. 

Thank you all for the input!!! We cannot wait to get up there! If anyone from GD is up there from around the 1st through the 9th I will be in spots 45-46 Look for my grey f250 and a big attitude fifth wheel I will have cold beers for who ever stops by!
I will be there. Delivering the yellow car to its new owners. Gonna take the new car for a spin and see how she does!!

Back