Hunting Trip and M-U-D

Stinky

Reaction score
It rained and snowed last night and it is the last weekend of elk season.  We went out and headed for my secret spot....which it seems is not such a secret, based on the headlights that we saw just before we pulled out.  We never got there as we turned back at the stream crossing.

Here is what we noted...when you need four wheel drive, you need 4 wheel drive....which I already knew.

We were on 2 230s... A Honda REcon, and a Yamaha Timberwolf.   Both are utility 2x4s.   Both sets of tires were like new.  The Honda had some mud tires on it, front and rear, a Vee-wedge.  The Timberwolf had X knobbies and knobbies on the front that have a center ridge of knobs.  Here is what we noticed....the Timberwolf was sliding all over the place.  The Honda, not so much, if at all.  We ended up towing the TW w/the Recon, and breaking the tie-down strap, almost 10x.  She would back up to me, and pull me away, sometimes.  The TW was throwing mud all over the place, AND, the mud was collecting on the frame, fenders, tires, everywhere.  The Honda, had taller lugs, maybe 3/4" taller.  And, you could see the knobs and it wasn't throwing and collecting mud.  It only got stuck about 3x.  My daughter was able to get it out, w/o issue each time.  The Timberwolf....the tires would mud over and it would just sit and spin.  I was walking along side, spinning the tires and pushing.  Meanwhile, my feet were growing, and the front tires had 6" on both sides.  Eventually, they would get so big that the rears were plowing the fronts....they were not turning, they were sllding on the mud.  I lost track at how many times I had to walk along side and push.  

So, long-story short, there was a significant dif in the 2 ATVs performance in the mud.

When we got back to the trailer....the TW went right on, except for the daughter hitting the side.  The Honda, fell off the ramps and we couldn't horse it around, not the 2 of us together.  Normally, you can move it 3-6".  The Honda would not climb the ramps w/me on it.  My daughter got it on.  It would stop when it got fully on the ramp (the steepest part).  

We couldn't slide either ATV around on the trailer....I am sure that they had over 100# of mud stuck to them.

I told my daughter several times, remind me not to do this again.

I'll sleep well tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got Polaris Sportsman 570s at work.  4x4.  So much fun.

Whenever I get out of this state, I'm thinking I'll try and trade a Banshee for one or something similar. 

20220306_065520.jpg

I’m heading out to Colorado next Thursday my spot got hit with 14” Last week. 

Hopefully my truck don’t have any problems and I’m bringing my daughters Raptor 90 Incase I have to ride to town for help. 

Next year I will have a new Honda 4x4 quad. 

Bring chains.  

Not sure where you are going, but they are predicting snow on Weds?  (next few days).  It is warm now, so the snow is going away.  There is a lot more traction in snow than mud....a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back