How to Bleed Power Steering

Flattman

Reaction score
I installed a new hydraulic power rack from GearOne and asking the best way to bleed the steering system.  The hoses from the steering servo to the rack are dry as well as the rack itself.  The reservoir still has fluid as do the lines to and from the pump on the engine.  Basically, everything behind the steering servo to the engine is untouched, everything from the servo up is dry and the car has NOT been started since the install.  What do I need to do before I start it for the first time and what to do after?

Interested to see what has worked for people sandcars.  YouTube videos have a lot of conflicting info.

From Howe.

1. Raise and support the vehicle off the ground so the steering has no weight on it.
2. Carefully fill the p/s reservoir filter with p/s fluid. Screw it onto the bottom of the reservoir hand tight.
3. Remove the reservoir cap. Do not replace the cap until the system has been completely bled.
4. Fill the reservoir with p/s fluid (PN: 1105) to the baffle.
5. Loosen the large hose fitting at the pump. This gets rid of any air lock and the p/s fluid will move through the pump and 
down to the steering unit. Then loosen all four hose fittings at the steering unit and the two at the ram. 
(Ram should be mounted with the fittings at 12:00/straight up)
NOTE: If at any time fluid in the reservoir runs out, air will re-enter the system and all the bleeding procedures must be redone.
6. When p/s fluid runs clear (with no foam, bubbles, etc.) re-tighten all fittings.
7. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. Add fluid to baffle as necessary.
8. Crank engine three-four times WITHOUT starting it.
9. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. Add fluid to baffle as necessary.
10. Check that the p/s fluid in the reservoir is clear (no foam, bubbles, etc.). If clear, start the engine and let run for approx. 
two minutes.
11. After approx. two minutes, slowly turn the steering wheel left and right several times. 
DO NOT turn to the steering stops. Or else the p/s pump will go into "High Pressure" and will not allow proper bleeding.
12. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. Add fluid to baffle as necessary.
13. Shut off engine and let stand for approx. five minutes.
14. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. Add fluid to baffle as necessary.
15. After five minutes, note the level of fluid in the reservoir. Start the engine. Note if the level in the p/s fluid reservoir drops. 
If it drops, air is still present in the system and Steps 5 thru 15 must be repeated.
16. If the level in the reservoir did not drop, the system has been properly bled.
17. Secure the cap on the p/s fluid reservoir and carefully test drive.
This is accurate, also I recommend swepco 715 power steering fluid

Back