How to apply Glamis tricks to every day life

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
My wife had a girlfriend trip in Saint George this weekend ( coming from riverside county) and meeting some friends from utah. The night before she left her tire was down 10psi. She’s good about monitoring her tire pressure on the dash. I looked for nails and found none. Friday morning at 5am I check it before I leave to work. It’s now 20 psi down. Her spare is a space saver not a full size. She picks up two friends and heads out early. She calls me and tells me she’s loosing 10 psi per hour. She stops at multiple places to top off along the way. Problem is after Vegas there are lots of ling stretch's without air. She stops in mesquite and has a shop pull off her tire. They find a cracked rim. Common on aluminum Mercedes’ rims. She puts it back in as they have no repair options. She makes it to st George. The next morning. (Today) tire is all the way flat. There are several rim repair places in the area but all are closed saturdays. Running out of options. Spare is good for 50 miles only snd 60 mph. She’s 330 miles away from me. She takes her tire off and buys a gallon of green coolant and 16 oz or barrs radiator stop leak. She takes it to the tire shop and they pop off the outside bead. They allow my wife and daughter to pour in 1/2 gallon of coolant snd all the barrs and he does it for no charge. They reinstalled it. Gave him a gift certificate to a restaurant and she’s out driving it now to spread it around. Hope to hear the good news that it holds all night for her trip home tomorrow so I can fix it at the shop

The only thing I picked up in that story was...Mercedes rims crack all the time! And that’s common? WTF? My daughter’s 2003 Saturn ion came with aluminum rims. She could win the contest if it were to hit as many curbs as you can without really trying to. Plenty of jacked up tires but never a bent or cracked rim. My advice...trade in that Mercedes for a pos Saturn that’s worth less than $1k

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like that tire and rim mighta bounced off something....but, on the inside?

Current car is a 2014. The previous one I had was a 2006  Had at least 5 cracks over the years we owned it. Alway on the inside bead. Oh did I say my wife drives it like a buggy and we live in a short dirt road too

This morning her tire is at 44psi. Looks like it’s going to work. She starts her trip back at noon. It took two 15 min drives to get it seamless up

Wheels America fixes rims.... for like $150.00....probably not worth your time....

Might have to contact Method to have them make you some wheels for that thing.......

The big ol rims with very little sidewall seem to have this issue more often than a standard sidewall. Maybe time for some 15" steelies and mudders. 😃 Great save that worked out well but easily could have done the opposite.

Don't underestimate the spare tire. In my hood, sometimes that's all they got! 

Send the factory wheels in and get reinforcement rings installed, more offroad input, they can repair the crack at same time. 
No way they’ll crack again on the inside 

Update. She made it home. The 1/2 gallon of coolant should have been 1 quart. After 70 mph it started to shake. My wife did not like having to drive that slow. She had to fill up 3 times on the way home. Once here it went two days. It had two cracks we fixed here today. Btw on my previous car I did put a reinforcement ring as it had multiple cracks

2AACBED1-F91A-4098-ABBF-4775E408BB1B.jpeg

C57F7F63-702A-47F4-A300-2E53F4885751.jpeg

5F938F9F-69C5-4079-8CF1-8784DECD2A6F.jpeg

Wow....  I would think with an oem wheel it would be a little more durable...  

Maybe have her practice smoother landings while launching over intersections.

Back