How far down is good enough???

dirtbikeguy

Reaction score
We are thinking of making the drive down for T-day and wondering how far down the wash road do you need to go to "escape" the craziness. I have heard anything from wash 18-22 but I thought I would ask those who might have real experience. We have little ones that like to ride around camp, and we want to give them space enough to enjoy it. 

We are thinking of making the drive down for T-day and wondering how far down the wash road do you need to go to "escape" the craziness. I have heard anything from wash 18-22 but I thought I would ask those who might have real experience. We have little ones that like to ride around camp, and we want to give them space enough to enjoy it. 
It use to be the further down Wash Road the better, but those were the day's when you had to drive thru a bunch of whoops from Wash 10 on down the old road. Once they graded the new road you can find inconsiderate A-holes everywhere.  The biggest A-hole I have met in a long time made it all the way down to W22.

I have seen it packed tight to W6- 7 where the dune finger comes out. Then pretty empty thru 10-15, where we were camped. We then came out low on gas deep and had to take the wash's back to camp and found the deeper ones were packed just like the early ones.

I would say past 22, Keep going untill you find some room. The road is good after wash 9.

For New Years last year (2020/2021) we were in wash 23 and it was not too bad at all. Seems from Wash 1 to 15 that weekend was super crowded and even had people camping right next to the restrooms and then others right in the middle of sand highway.

Xmas thru New Years is weird as well, We camped in wash 11 one year, got there on the 26th, and we were leaving on the 31st.  We got blocked in because each day more people showed up and eventually blocked all the roads out of that wash.  We had to ask a camp if we could drive our Moho thru their camp to get out.  That week, everyone is kind of on different schedules so people keep arriving for 5 days straight with zero regard to others.  Probably similar to trying to leave on Sat of Thanksgiving weekend. y advice anything between Wash 13-20 would be good to go.

with the craziness ive seen on the social sites form this weekend, i dont think there's a place you can go to get away from the craziness this season.

Wash 903 is probably safe, any closer & you never know.  LOL.

We usually stay at 11 but I wouldn't mind pushing farther if the road is in good condition. 11 has been crowded, even on the off weekends we go. I imagine it will be worse this year. I wonder if there is an aerial shot from last weekend that shows the washes. That would give you an idea.

Andrew

We usually stay at 11 but I wouldn't mind pushing farther if the road is in good condition. 11 has been crowded, even on the off weekends we go. I imagine it will be worse this year. I wonder if there is an aerial shot from last weekend that shows the washes. That would give you an idea.

Andrew
We use to do W11 for years, Then we all got bigger rigs and the entrance to the wash would get small on bigger weekends plus the deep soft holes that magically appear from one week to the next got us to move to W13 again.  13 can get a little crowded but it's still easy to get to wash road and the soft spots are only by the tree's.

I hear W15 is good but has a pretty big kiddie track that can kick up some dust on bigger weekends. Plus 11,13 & 15 all funnel out to the dunes in the same line if your heading towards the Brawley Slide ridge-line and if you want to head south, like on bigger weekends there is still a good route to start off on. 

We use to do W11 for years, Then we all got bigger rigs and the entrance to the wash would get small on bigger weekends plus the deep soft holes that magically appear from one week to the next got us to move to W13 again.  13 can get a little crowded but it's still easy to get to wash road and the soft spots are only by the tree's.

I hear W15 is good but has a pretty big kiddie track that can kick up some dust on bigger weekends. Plus 11,13 & 15 all funnel out to the dunes in the same line if your heading towards the Brawley Slide ridge-line and if you want to head south, like on bigger weekends there is still a good route to start off on. 
I hear you about the entrance to 11. It's pretty tight. We usually camp pretty close to the tracks near the dunes that run the entire wash. The kids like to play in those and it's easier to watch them from camp. May try 15 if it funnels to the same area. We always head out that direction and then immediately south. It's been at least 2 seasons that I've taken the kids to olds and even longer to the drags. My kids like to dune. Not too in to people/shitshow watching.

All crowded. The road made it easy to access the higher numbered washes, so just pick a spot closer to the dunes and hope for the best. 

Back